Proving Scalar Operator: Laplacian in 4 Dimensions

In summary, according to the definition, an operator T that commutes with all components of the angular momentum operator is a scalar, or rank zero, operator. What is the mathematical definition to that statement? The mathematical statement is that if \hat{T} is an operator such that [\hat{T},\hat{L}_x]=[\hat{T},\hat{L}_y]=[\hat{T},\hat{L}_z]=0 then \hat{T} is a scalar operator.
mmgbmm
According to the definition, an operator T that commutes with all components of the angular momentum operator is a scalar, or rank zero, operator. What is the mathematical definition to that statement?
How can I prove that the four dimensional Laplacian is a scalar operator?

Regards,

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The mathematical statement is that if [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] is an operator such that [tex][\hat{T},\hat{L}_x]=[\hat{T},\hat{L}_y]=[\hat{T},\hat{L}_z]=0[/tex] then [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] is a scalar operator.

So to show that an operator is a scalar operator, you just have to show that those three commutators are zero.

Mike

Actually,the general formula reads

[tex] \left[\hat{\vec{J}}\cdot\vec{n},\hat{T}^{(k)}_{q}\right]_{-} =\sum_{q'} T^{(k)}_{q'}\left\langle k,q'\left | \right \hat{\vec{J}}\cdot\vec{n}\left | \right k,q \rangle\right [/tex]

,so it suffices to prove it for the "z" component.

HINT:Use the position representation in which

[tex] \nabla^{2} \sim \delta_{lm}\hat{p}_{l}\hat{p}_{m} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
mmgbmm said:
According to the definition, an operator T that commutes with all components of the angular momentum operator is a scalar, or rank zero, operator. What is the mathematical definition to that statement?
How can I prove that the four dimensional Laplacian is a scalar operator?

I used to wonder often about the relationship bewteen tensor operators in quantum mechanics and tensors for physical 3-dimensional space, where the latter are defined either as multilinear maps, or as "things" that satisfy certain transformation properties.

A short passage on page 118 of the book Group Theory and Physics by S. Sternberg showed me that there is a connection. Elements of the rotation group act both on vectors in physical space and on (state) vectors in the state space of a quantum system. In other words, both of these spaces are representation spaces for representations of the the rotation group.

Tensor operators are (related to) operators on state space that correspond to the standard tensors of physical tensors via an intertwining operator (or morphism) between the representations.

Sternberg is a very nice introduction to the use of group theory in physics from an abstract point of view. I've always meant to write a little blurb that shows the correspdence bewteen the terse, general, and abstract treatment in Sternberg, and more the more concrete expositions found in quantum mechanics books. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Sternberg. I do have a few lines of handwritten notes from page 118. Maybe that will be enough.

With respect to the Laplacian, I was going to mention something about partial derivatives commuting, but I see that while I was writing, dextercioby has already given an equivalent but better suggestion.

Regards,
George

The zero commutators demonstrate that the "scalar" is independent of the two standard spherical coordinate angular coordinates. Thus the "scalar" is a function of r only, and does not change under rotations -- and that's what we mean by a scalar -under rotation.

For the 4D-Laplacian, the t part is trivial. The spatial part is, up to a constant, momentum squared, p**2, and this commutes, as it should, with all the angular momentum operators.

Edmunds book on angular momentum goes into spherical tensors, rotations and all that stuff in a very complete fashion. Well worth fighting your way through, sometime down the road. Note that spherical tensors are defined only for rotations, so they are somewhat analogous to multipoles in E&M, less so to the standard tensors of relativity.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Related to Proving Scalar Operator: Laplacian in 4 Dimensions

1. What is a scalar operator?

A scalar operator is a mathematical operator that operates on a scalar quantity, which is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. Examples of scalar operators include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a second-order differential operator used in mathematics to describe the rate at which a quantity, such as temperature or pressure, changes over a given space. It is represented by the symbol ∇² and is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of a function with respect to each of its independent variables.

3. What is 4-dimensional space?

4-dimensional space, also known as four-dimensional space, is a mathematical concept that refers to a space with four dimensions: length, width, height, and time. It is used in physics and mathematics to describe the physical world and the behavior of objects within it.

4. How is the Laplacian operator proven in 4-dimensional space?

The Laplacian operator is proven in 4-dimensional space by applying the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the Laplacian of a scalar function is equal to the divergence of the gradient of that function. This can be extended to 4-dimensional space by using the 4-dimensional gradient operator and the 4-dimensional divergence operator.

5. What are the applications of the Laplacian operator in 4-dimensional space?

The Laplacian operator has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to describe the behavior of fluids, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and computer graphics to smooth out noisy data and enhance image quality.