What is a Scanner Reading Software that Converts Pictures to Text?

In summary, the conversation is about a program that can decipher words in picture files and convert them into text that can be copied to word processors. The program is called Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and can be used with a scanner. It is also available for free on sourceforge or may be included in the latest version of MS Office. The person asking for recommendations has forgotten the name of the program they used and is seeking suggestions for similar programs.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I don't know how to describe this properly in a few words, hence the awkward thread title. I used to own this particular program which is able to decipher words in picture files to actual text which can then be copied to MS word or other word processors. It doesn't require a scanner but it works well with one, and I remember testing it out on some printed text like books and newspapers and it deciphered most of the text through the scanner easily. I believed it was freeware. Does anyone know of a program that does the above?

I forgot the name of the program I used and I believe I deleted it inadvertently.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's called Optical Character Recognition (OCR) there are lots of programs (with different performance) usually you get one free with the scanner.
I think the latest MS-office includes one - otherwise try a search on sourceforge for free ones.

A Scanner Reading Software that Converts Pictures to Text is a type of optical character recognition (OCR) software. It uses advanced algorithms to analyze and interpret the characters in a picture file, such as a scanned document or photograph, and convert them into editable text. This allows the user to extract and manipulate the text in a more efficient and accurate manner, compared to manually transcribing the text. OCR software is commonly used in document management, data entry, and accessibility applications. There are many different OCR software programs available, both free and paid, with varying levels of accuracy and features. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs.

1. What is scanner reading software?

Scanner reading software is a type of computer program that allows a scanner to read and convert printed text into digital text that can be read and edited by a computer. This software uses optical character recognition (OCR) technology to recognize and interpret the text on a scanned document.

2. How does scanner reading software work?

Scanner reading software works by using a combination of hardware and software. The hardware, which includes a scanner, captures an image of the printed document. The software then analyzes the image and uses OCR technology to identify and extract the text. The software may also have additional features such as spell check and formatting options to enhance the accuracy and usability of the scanned text.

3. Can scanner reading software read handwriting?

No, most scanner reading software is not able to read handwriting. This is because handwriting can vary greatly in style and legibility, making it difficult for the software to accurately recognize and interpret the text. Scanner reading software is designed to read printed text that is uniform and clearly defined.

4. Is scanner reading software accurate?

The accuracy of scanner reading software can vary depending on the quality of the scanned document and the software itself. Generally, the software can achieve a high level of accuracy when reading clearly printed text on a clean and well-scanned document. However, it may struggle with handwritten text, faded or distorted images, and unusual fonts.

5. What are the benefits of using scanner reading software?

There are several benefits to using scanner reading software. It can save time and effort by converting printed text into digital text that can be easily edited and shared. It can also improve accessibility for individuals with visual impairments, as the digital text can be read aloud by text-to-speech software. Additionally, some scanner reading software has language translation capabilities, making it useful for those working with documents in multiple languages.