Scared of aerospace engineering

In summary, Aerospace Engineering is a challenging field and requires a strong background in math and science. The decision to pursue this degree should be based on your interest and willingness to make personal sacrifices. It is important to talk to engineering advisors and consider internships to gain a better understanding of the requirements for the program. Ultimately, there are no shortcuts in this discipline and it requires dedication and hard work.
PhysicsHigh
I have been extremely interested in aerospace engineering and am considering to take it in college. I currently go to community college and if i do not have the interest i have no motivation which makes everything go downhill. Should i be worried that something will make me lose my motivation to continue? Because I hear it is a very very difficult degree to obtain. I love this stuff so I guess i shouldn't worry so much but is it this major really that difficult or can it be just like any other major? (which i hope)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any engineering or science discipline is going to be challenging, and Aerospace Engineering is no exception I am sure.

What you are really asking is, "Do I like Aerospace Engineering enough to justify all of the personal sacrifices it will take to obtain a degree in this discipline"? Only you can answer this question.

If you do not have a strong background in math and science, it will be more difficult, but that just means that you will need to pace yourself and understand that you can't make it up all in one semester. How much prep work do you think you will need? Again, only you can answer this.

My suggestion is to talk to some Engineering advisers at your school of interest. Get a feel for what you will need to qualify for admittance into the program. (Engineering schools typically have minimum prerequisites that you must pass before admitting you into the school).

You could also consider getting an internship. The fact is, if you really want it there are lots of people out there that are willing to help you. But you have to put the work in and there are not shortcuts. You can't fake Engineering like you can other disciplines.

lewdtenant said:
Any engineering or science discipline is going to be challenging, and Aerospace Engineering is no exception I am sure.

What you are really asking is, "Do I like Aerospace Engineering enough to justify all of the personal sacrifices it will take to obtain a degree in this discipline"? Only you can answer this question.

If you do not have a strong background in math and science, it will be more difficult, but that just means that you will need to pace yourself and understand that you can't make it up all in one semester. How much prep work do you think you will need? Again, only you can answer this.

My suggestion is to talk to some Engineering advisers at your school of interest. Get a feel for what you will need to qualify for admittance into the program. (Engineering schools typically have minimum prerequisites that you must pass before admitting you into the school).

Thank you

What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is the branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. It combines principles from both mechanical and electrical engineering to create and improve technologies for flight and space exploration.

Why are people scared of aerospace engineering?

People may be scared of aerospace engineering because it is a complex and highly technical field that requires a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and other sciences. The responsibility of designing and creating machines that can withstand the extreme conditions of flight and space can also be daunting.

What skills do I need to become an aerospace engineer?

To become an aerospace engineer, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and science. Other important skills include attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team.

What are the job opportunities for aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense companies, government agencies, and research institutions. They can also specialize in areas such as aircraft design, propulsion systems, or avionics. With the growing demand for air travel and space exploration, job opportunities in this field are expected to increase.

What is the future of aerospace engineering?

The future of aerospace engineering looks promising, with advancements in technology leading to the development of new and more efficient aircraft and spacecraft. There is also a growing focus on sustainability and reducing the environmental impact of aerospace engineering. As we continue to push the boundaries of flight and space exploration, the field of aerospace engineering will continue to evolve and offer exciting opportunities for innovation and discovery.