Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

School parking citation

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    I need your opinion on this.
    I got a 30 dollar citation for parking in the grass at my school. The school has too many students and not enough parking, so every day at around noon, there's no parking spots. You have to circle the parking lot with 40+ other cars hoping to catch someone pulling out. Well I normally get one, but today I was circling the parking lot for 20+ minutes and finally decided that I had to stop the car because I was about to be late for class. If I'm late for class, it's an automatic zero on the homework because he hands out the answers at the beginning of class.
    So I park in the grass next to somebody else who also parked in the grass. I just hoped I wouldn't get a citation.
    Well I did, and I'd rather die than pay them that money. I already paid 55 dollars for parking that I apparently can't use, and now I have to pay 30 dollars for parking in the grass just so I can get to a class I paid 500+ dollars for on time? It's a joke.

I can appeal the citation, which I'm obviously going to do. If that fails, I plan on getting a lawyer or something. Either way, they are not getting that money.
    What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think you'll lose. They just had a story about parking in the grass on the news last month. If they have signs posted, you're most likely not going to win. I would appeal the cost of your parking permit if they have sold permits well beyond the amount of space available.

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What. Only $30? You're lucky. That's about what it cost me back in the '70s. I once came out of class to find my car missing. Now I had the cost of the ticket plus the towing and storage fees.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    I don't think they do have those signs, but if they do, what else can I do? Get 0's on all the homework in that class because I'm driving around the parking lot for half an hour?

How would I appeal the cost of the parking permit? I think I'm going to do that too.

All they're doing is trying to squeeze as much money out of the students as possible, not caring how unethical it is. I'll take it to court if I have to. This is absurd.
    Well, there's about 20-30 other cars parked in the grass too. They can't tow them all. But they can make a business out of it, which is what they're doing apparently.

There's two lots. They're both always full and people are always circling the lot mid-day. At one of them people park in the grass. At the other, people park at this dirt lot that's for construction crews.
    Some people opt to pay 3 dollars for a pass to park in the garage for the day, even though they've paid for the sticker to park in the lots. But since they can't find a spot, they give up and pay for the garage for the day. I spend enough money at this school. Should I just go ahead and deposit every paycheck into their account?

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

$55 for a parking permit? Lucky you! Here it costs $496 per semester, and it is also oversold. I take the train.

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6
    Why aren't more people going to college? It's such a mystery. I hope we figure it out one day.

8. Aug 28, 2012 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I was granted my first appeal

9. Aug 28, 2012 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I ride my bike now. Cardio is better than fines.

10. Aug 28, 2012 #9
    I would love to do that, but it would take 45 minutes according to Google maps, and I'd have to take the highway, which I don't think I'm allowed to do on a bike.

11. Aug 28, 2012 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should go ahead and appeal - what do you have to lose? Chances are fair that you'll get a reduced fee, but you'll still have to part with something.

Remember: there are no mistakes in life, only lessons. Some lessons cost a lot more than others*. Lessons will be repeated until you learn them.

Take away message - be early next time you have a must-turn-in assignment.

*Trust me, this one was cheap!

12. Aug 28, 2012 #11
    I'm going to appeal, and the fine better be reduced to zero. I can afford to pay the fine, but paying is not an option for me based on principle. I'll get a lawyer if I have to.

People will take every penny from you if they can. Some people let them do it just to avoid conflict. But I won't do it. I'm right and they're wrong. They have no defense on this matter.

What lesson could I possibly learn from this? Get there earlier? I get there as early as I can. I get off work, stop by my apartment on the way there and get my stuff and go. I guess maybe the lesson is to not choose classes at that time? Well hindsight is 20/20. And sometimes the only times for those classes I need WILL be that time, so I have no choice.

I do appreciate your response though, I'm just really passionate about not letting people walk over me, and that's exactly what someone is trying to do to me now.

13. Aug 28, 2012 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That's about perfect for cardio! :]

Is there anyway you could take a bike to nearby destination, park there, and ride in?

14. Aug 28, 2012 #13
    What would paying a lawyer do? Don't be ridiculous.

I'd appeal though.

15. Aug 28, 2012 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Until either you learn them, or you die - whichever occurs first :smile:

16. Aug 28, 2012 #15

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Reminds me of a parking citation I got just before I started as a freshman. I was in the USAF for 4 years and had come to the college to schedule classes and stuff. I accidentally parked in the wrong lot (I didn't have a parking permit) and got a ticket. I talked to some administrator about it and explained I had traveled 500 miles from my base to get there to schedule the classes and didn't realize the parking situation, had to take leave, blah blah blah... The sob story worked and they tore up the ticket on the spot. So I'd suggest you fight it and give them a sob story, basically what you already said about driving around for 20 minutes, the automatic zero on the homework, parked next to another car in the grass, etc... But don't get pissy, that'll work against you. Play the part of the beleaguered student.

17. Aug 28, 2012 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh man, $30 for a citation and $55 for parking permits? They must be rich. My current university sells annual parking permits around $700. My old university was around $160 but the fines were always at least $50.

What you could do is tell your professor what happened, have him sign something saying it would hurt you academically to have not done what you did and bring that in with your appeal. Doesn't your ticket or parking department have information about appeals? Our tickets do and the parking department website does have info as well. Maybe it will help but I don't know.

Also, you should get a lawyer. The lesson you will quickly learn is that not all fights are worth fighting and life consists of getting screwed over every so often. If it makes you feel any better, remember that you probably screwed over someone, maybe intentionally or not, in your life and that's just kind of how the world works. People get screwed, such is life. If you want to do something about it, get more people involved in your cause. Get petitions for new parking structures. Have a rally. Then they may build more parking! Of course, they're just going to tack on the fees for any new parking onto your increased parking permit fee :)

Again, screwed.

18. Aug 28, 2012 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I really don't see why you don't pay the 3 dollars.

Fine, the situation sucks, it's dishonest and they're screwing you over. But there's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes you got to learn to let things go.

19. Aug 28, 2012 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you want our agreement, not our opinions. I also think it was worth $3 not to get a $30 ticket, and I think if you get a lawyer, you won't have a legal leg to stand on. Did the university promise that there would always be a spot for you whenever you might want one? Oh, and if you refuse to pay, odds are that your university will refuse to send out transcripts until you do.

20. Aug 28, 2012 #19

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And even if you do win, the cost of that lawyer will be significant!! You will likely pay more on the lawyer than that you will pay on the $30 ticket.
    Furthermore, fighting this is a total waste of time. You could use that time for studying or having fun.

So, is it really worth it??

21. Aug 28, 2012 #20

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To quote the great Chico Marx: You know what I say. Whenever you got trouble the best thing to do is to get a lawyer. Then you got more trouble, but at least you got a lawyer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook