Schrodinger picture derivation

In summary, the Schrödinger's equation can be written as \LARGE i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}U(t) = HU(t), with H as the Hamiltonian and U as the time evolution operator. If H is independent of time, the solution is \LARGE U(t) = e^{-iHt/\hbar}. To solve the differential equation, one can use the integrating factor method.
skateboarding
I had a math question about the following steps.

The Shroedinger's equation can be written as follows.

[tex] \LARGE i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}U(t) |\psi(0)> = HU(t)|\psi(0)>[/tex]

Where H is the hamiltonian and U is the time evolution operator.
So U satisfies the schrodinger equation.

[tex] \LARGE i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}U(t) = HU(t) [/tex]

This is the part that I don't quite understand.

If the hamiltonian H is independent of time, the solution to the above equation is

[tex] \LARGE U(t) = e^{-iHt/\hbar} [/tex]

This is a solution of integration with respect to U to solve for the differential equation.
My problem is that i can't seem to justify the expression:

[tex] \LARGE \int i\hbar \frac{dU(t)}{U(t)} = \int Hdt [/tex]

Am I allowed to divide operators and shuffle them around? Furthermore, when I think of operators in their matrix representation, I am even more confused, since I do not know of matrix division, only inverse operations on matrix.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not happy with separating variables you can always use an integrating factor:

[tex]
\LARGE \frac{d}{dt}\left(U(t)e^{iHt/{\hbar}}\right) = 0
[/tex]

So then:

[tex]
\LARGE U(t)e^{iHt/{\hbar}} = U(0)
[/tex]

U(0) can be normalised to 1 therefore [tex]
\LARGE U(t) = e^{-iHt/\hbar}
[/tex]

What is the Schrodinger picture derivation?

The Schrodinger picture derivation is a mathematical approach used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. It was developed by Erwin Schrodinger and provides a way to calculate the state of a quantum system at any given time.

What is the difference between the Schrodinger picture and the Heisenberg picture?

In the Schrodinger picture, the state of a quantum system is time-dependent, while in the Heisenberg picture, the operators (or observables) are time-dependent. In other words, in the Schrodinger picture, the operators are constant while the state evolves over time, and in the Heisenberg picture, the state is constant while the operators evolve over time.

What is the equation used in the Schrodinger picture derivation?

The main equation used in the Schrodinger picture derivation is the Schrodinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is written as: iħ∂ψ/∂t = Hψ, where i is the imaginary unit, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, ∂ψ/∂t is the time derivative of the state of the system, H is the Hamiltonian operator, and ψ is the state vector of the system.

What are the assumptions made in the Schrodinger picture derivation?

The Schrodinger picture derivation makes several assumptions, including that the quantum system is isolated (not interacting with any external systems), that the Hamiltonian is time-independent, and that the system is in a pure state (described by a single state vector).

How is the Schrodinger picture derivation used in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger picture derivation is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system and to determine the state of the system at any given time. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is used in a wide range of applications, including quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum information theory.