Schwarzschild radius of a proton

In summary, the schwarzschild radius of a proton is calculated using the formula R = (2MG)/c^2, where m= 1.67E-27, G=6.67E-11, and c=3E-8. The result is 2.5E-54, which is significantly smaller than the known radius of a proton (0.8fm). This suggests that not everything is made of black holes. After further calculations, the correct answer is 7.427E-46, leading to the conclusion that the original answer of 2.5E-54 was incorrect due to a possible unit conversion error.
toto93
1. Calculate the schwarzschild radius of a proton

2. R = (2MG)/c^2

3. I plugged in m= 1.67E-27, G=6.67E-11 and c=3E-8 and got out an answer of 2.5E-54. This seems ridiculously small, but I can't figure our if I'm doing something wrong or if it really is just that tiny. The next question has us compare it to the radius of a proton, 0.8fm, so I'm guessing my answer should be somewhere around that value. If someone could help figure out what's going on I'd be grateful, Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, toto93. Welcome to PF.
Your calculation looks correct. You are asked to compare the result to the known radius of the proton. That doesn't necessarily mean that the two radii should be similar.

Okay, I didnt think there was anything wrong with the maths it just seemed to be a ridiculously tiny number. The next questions asks us to compare it to see the possibility of it being a black hole, so I just thought they would be reasonably close. I guess it makes sense to be far smaller because then at least not everything is made of black holes. Thanks

I just did the calculations and my answer came out as 7.427E-46. Did you check your calculations or did I miss a conversion at some point?

Just done the calculation again, I'm fairly sure I did the calculation right and I got the same answer. It might be a problem with units, not sure. I'm just going to go with 2.48E-54 and hope it's right, I can't see any problems with my calculation at least

You can check your answer here

Thanks, that's really helpful, at least I know I'm pretty much certainly right. Thanks again,

Ok, I guess I messed up on my units. Wouldn't be the first time. Sorry 'bout that!

What is the Schwarzschild radius of a proton?

The Schwarzschild radius of a proton is a theoretical concept in physics that represents the size at which a proton would have to be compressed to become a black hole. It is calculated to be approximately 10^-30 meters, which is significantly smaller than the actual size of a proton.

How is the Schwarzschild radius of a proton calculated?

The Schwarzschild radius of a proton is calculated using the formula Rs = 2GM/c^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the proton, and c is the speed of light. This formula was originally derived by German physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916.

Can a proton actually become a black hole at its Schwarzschild radius?

No, a proton cannot become a black hole at its Schwarzschild radius. This is because the Schwarzschild radius only takes into account the mass of the proton and does not consider other factors such as angular momentum and charge, which are important for black hole formation.

What is the significance of the Schwarzschild radius of a proton?

The Schwarzschild radius of a proton is significant because it highlights the extreme density and gravitational force that exist within a black hole. It also serves as a useful concept in theoretical physics and helps us understand the properties of black holes and their behavior.

How does the Schwarzschild radius of a proton compare to other objects in the universe?

The Schwarzschild radius of a proton is extremely small compared to other objects in the universe. For example, the Schwarzschild radius of the Earth is about 9 millimeters, while the Schwarzschild radius of the Sun is about 3 kilometers. This demonstrates the immense gravitational force and density of black holes.