EM Course Choices: Jackson or Schwinger?

• Classical
  • Thread starter kostas230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the instructor recommends buying either Jackson's book or Schwinger's book, depending on the preference of the student. He recommends buying a study guide and an REA or Schaum's workbook if possible.
kostas230
So, I'm taking a graduate course on EM and I don't know which textbook to take: Jackson's book or Schwinger's? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you a prof? What text does he suggest? Presumably the course will have some homework assignments.

There's one sound
That no one knows
What does the prof say?

Jackson is one of those classics that everybody wants everybody else to have read.

Of course, Schwinger is available for Kindle. Oh, for about the same as the paperback version of Jackson.

Well, he recommends both of them and he said he will be giving exercises from both of these texts, although I have a feeling that most of these will be from Jackson since it's the standard and there are more copies in the library.

I don't know about Schwinger's but Jackon's book is great (trust me).

Likes Demforiq
Jackson is the standard source. I like it very much, but Schwinger is simply a master piece, and I like. It's full of gems. Alone the treatment of cylindrical Bessel functions with elegant operator techniques is worth the whole book.

I don't like both books conceptionally wise so much. They are both written from a classical perspective. From a HEP/nuclear theoretical physicist's point of view, classical electromagnetism should be introduced as a relativistic classical quantum field theor (and it's in fact the paradigmatic example of one such theory with the clear advantage that it describes a vast amount of observable facts and has far-reaching applications in electrical engineering, electronics, and optics). The best book from this point of view is, in my opinion, Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2 or Scheck's Theoretical Physics book vol. 3 (I'm not sure whether there's an English translation of the latter, but the German edition is great).

Likes dextercioby
Hi Hendrik, yes Scheck's book was translated also under Springer Verlag. Indeed, an excellent book.

Buy the one most used in class, and if your professor is going to swap about equally, then you probably should buy both. You can buy an older edition of Jackson, it is the standard and older editions are probably readily available for a LOT less money than the newest edition (also look at Indian publishers).

My next advice, buy a study guide if you can and buy an REA or Schaum's workbook. I had a professor that couldn't be bothered with stupid questions (the only kind I knew how to ask...), so that was a necessity for me. We used two textbooks, Jackson and Griffiths. Griffiths was far easier to read and the problems were far easier to do. I suspect Grittiths was really an undergrad text, but it complemented Jacksons and allowed the class to comprehend the more difficult concepts.

1. What is the difference between Jackson and Schwinger courses?

The main difference between Jackson and Schwinger courses is the focus on different aspects of electromagnetic theory. Jackson courses tend to be more mathematically rigorous and cover a wider range of topics, while Schwinger courses focus more on practical applications and problem-solving techniques.

2. Which course is better for someone with a strong math background?

If you have a strong math background and enjoy tackling complex problems, Jackson courses may be a better fit for you. These courses often involve more advanced calculus and vector analysis, which may be challenging but rewarding for mathematically inclined students.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

Both Jackson and Schwinger courses typically require a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics. Some courses may also have additional prerequisites, such as introductory electromagnetism or quantum mechanics.

4. How do I decide which course to take?

It ultimately depends on your interests and goals. If you are more interested in theoretical concepts and mathematical approaches, a Jackson course may be a better fit. If you prefer practical applications and problem-solving techniques, a Schwinger course may be more suitable.

5. Can I take both Jackson and Schwinger courses?

Yes, many students choose to take both Jackson and Schwinger courses to gain a well-rounded understanding of electromagnetic theory. However, it is important to carefully consider your workload and schedule before enrolling in multiple courses at once.