Macroscopic field - seeking a thorough exposition

In summary: I'm old school.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a rigorous and thorough exposition of the definition of the macroscopic electromagnetic field. One person mentions being disappointed by Jackson's derivation and seeking something closer to the state of the art on this subject. Another person suggests checking out various books on continuous media, including Robinson and de Groot. Ultimately, Robinson's book is recommended as it addresses the topic of interest in a way that aligns with the conversation participants' thoughts.
coquelicot
TL;DR Summary
I'm seeking a thorough exposition of the definition of the macroscopic EM field
Of the classical books about EM, I found that Jackson's is the only one that touches with some rigour the subject of deriving the macroscopic field from the microscopic one.
Unfortunately, I am quite disappointed by the derivation of Jackson.
In the reference he gives, he says that a couple of authors have spent their lives about this subject, but I was unable to find their book.

Do you know a rigorous and thorough exposition of this matter? I am not looking for a vague "diagrammatic" persuasion, but something closer to the state of the art on this subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
coquelicot said:
TL;DR Summary: I'm seeking a thorough exposition of the definition of the macroscopic EM field

Of the classical books about EM, I found that Jackson's is the only one that touches with some rigour the subject of deriving the macroscopic field from the microscopic one.
Unfortunately, I am quite disappointed by the derivation of Jackson.
In the reference he gives, he says that a couple of authors have spent their lives about this subject, but I was unable to find their book.

Do you know a rigorous and thorough exposition of this matter? I am not looking for a vague "diagrammatic" persuasion, but something closer to the state of the art on this subject.
Maybe this, but it's in German:
https://static.uni-graz.at/fileadmi.../mitter_heinrich/Dokumente/Elektrodynamik.pdf

From p. 126 and 163

Likes vanhees71 and coquelicot
Yes, German is a problem for me, but I had a look at the formulae; that seems rather descriptive. I am in doubt this is a thorough exposition of the matter.

Likes Philip Koeck
These might be of interest
Macroscopic Electromagnetism by Robinson
Electrodynamics of Continuous Media by Landau
A Development of the Equations of Electromagnetism in Material Continua by Tiersten
Electrodynamics of Continua by Eringen and Maugin
Electrodynamics of Moving Media by Penfield and Haus
The Maxwell Equations by de Groot

Likes vanhees71 and coquelicot
All of these deal about the topic? or are they just books on EM?

None of these are “standard” EM books. They are all focused on continuous media.
I would guess that de Groot and Robinson would be of most interest to you. I believe that there are additional de Groot references that I do not have handy.

OK thx. I've already read Landau, and no, it does not contain the deal.

I would check out Ch. 3 of Wald's book on electromagnetism. He gives a very nice derivation.

Likes coquelicot
Here's the preface from de Groot
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.42.12 AM.png

Last edited:
Here's the preface from Robinson
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.43.46 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.44.02 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.44.21 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.44.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Likes coquelicot
Nice ! Robinson seems to be my man, as he writes exactly what I thought in his preface. Groot may be in contradiction with Robinson, that is, he may derive things in the classical erroneous way. But I don't know I have to read to have an opinion.

De Groot book seems difficult to obtain, do you have a link? :-)

Sorry. That was a scan from my hard copy.

1. What is a macroscopic field?

A macroscopic field is a physical quantity that varies continuously in space and time. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale, such as in the study of fluid mechanics or electromagnetism.

2. How is a macroscopic field different from a microscopic field?

A macroscopic field is a collective property of a large number of particles, while a microscopic field describes the behavior of individual particles. Macroscopic fields are used to understand and predict the behavior of matter on a larger scale, while microscopic fields are used to describe the behavior of individual particles on a smaller scale.

3. What are some examples of macroscopic fields?

Some examples of macroscopic fields include temperature, pressure, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid velocity. These fields can be measured and observed on a large scale and have a significant impact on the behavior of matter and energy.

4. How are macroscopic fields measured and studied?

Macroscopic fields are typically measured using instruments such as thermometers, pressure gauges, or sensors for electric and magnetic fields. They can also be studied and analyzed using mathematical models and equations, which allow scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of these fields.

5. What is the importance of studying macroscopic fields?

Studying macroscopic fields is essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale. It allows scientists to make predictions and develop technologies that have a significant impact on our daily lives, such as weather forecasting, electricity, and transportation systems. Understanding macroscopic fields also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental principles that govern our universe.