Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science olympiad star question

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    This problem deals with two main sequence stars in an eclipsing binary star system. I need to determine the system's peiod and separation (P and a).
    Right now i know that the brightest star has an absolute magnitude of -1 (219 solar luminosity), is 17,000 degrees kelvin, has a radius of 1.74 solar radii (1,280,000 km) and is 3.17 solar masses. The smaller star has an absolute magnitude of 3 (6 solar luminosity), and is 1.4 solar masses.
    the time it takes for the eclipse of the small star (the smaller dip) is P/7.

Go to this site (#24 +#25) to see the illustration of the problem...

h ttp://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/fellows/sci_olympiad/astro_ohio_questions_2003.pdf

this site has the answers.... i just dont know how to get them!!

h ttp://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/fellows/sci_olympiad/astro_ohio_answers2003.pdf

i know kepler's law: m1 +m2 = a^3/p^2
    2(pi)R= (velocity) x p
    There must be other formulas i dont know about...

i am going nowhere. i have asked my teachers and they dont know what to do either. This is practice for a science olympiad competion and it will likely be on the test. Help please!!!! i dont have much time!!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Those links don't work.
  4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    now they do.. just delete the space between the "h" and the "t" in http
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?