Science Popularizing and a Comic

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation is about a comic that accurately portrays the speaker's opinion on magazines like Scientific American. The speaker also shares a link to the comic. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about the LHC and black holes, with the speaker mentioning how most people respond when corrected or when their personal conjectures are shot down. The issue, according to the speaker, is that these people never learned the basics in the first place.
maverick_starstrider
I just found this comic which perfectly sums up my opinion about magazines like Scientific American and such. Just thought I'd share it: http://imgur.com/gallery/qy8jN

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel exactly the same way when my friend's cousin was trying to explain to us what the LHC does. He only knows about it from what he's heard on the news, so naturally that quickly turned into a discussion on black holes, which he also knows almost nothing about.

Most people respond by telling you to think outside the box when you correct them or shoot down their own personal conjecture. The problem lies in that they never learned what's inside the box to being with!

1. What is science popularizing?

Science popularizing is the process of making scientific concepts and information accessible and understandable to the general public. This can be done through various mediums such as books, TV shows, podcasts, and comics.

2. What is a science comic?

A science comic is a comic book or graphic novel that presents scientific information and concepts in a visual and engaging format. It can cover a wide range of topics, from basic scientific principles to more complex theories and discoveries.

3. Why is science popularizing through comics important?

Science popularizing through comics is important because it can make scientific concepts more engaging and easier to understand for a wider audience. It can also help to break down barriers and make science more accessible and inclusive for people who may not have a strong background in science.

4. How can comics be used to popularize science?

Comics can be used to popularize science by presenting information in a visually appealing and easy-to-understand format. They can also use storytelling and humor to make complex concepts more relatable and entertaining.

5. What are some examples of successful science popularizing comics?

Some examples of successful science popularizing comics include "The Manga Guide to..." series, which covers topics such as calculus, molecular biology, and physics, and the "xkcd" webcomic, which often includes scientific themes and concepts in its humorous and relatable comics.