Which Social Network Do Scientists Prefer for Networking?

• Thread starter JohnT89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, scientists appear to have a variety of online social networks they prefer, but ResearchGate is not one of them.
JohnT89
I know there are many and I know their approximate member count, but in your opinion, is there any 'preferred' social network which scientists (preferrably physicists) tend to use more?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PF ! :smile:
(if you call the general discussion as a social network)

The legend said:
PF ! :smile:
(if you call the general discussion as a social network)

I am already in PF as you can see, and already enjoying it :D
By the way, no: I am not talking about Online Communities such forums, blogs, sites.

I am talking about something like Facebook or Windows Live Spaces.
I heard about ResearchGate, but there are many many others.
The problem with ResearchGate is that I personally find it too 'job and pubblications oriented' and thus 'too much' for a simple enthusiast undergraduate.

Main question:
simply choose the most crowded (most known = more chances that people will have at least one account there) or the niche ones (way, way, way less people but everyone looking for a scientific exchange purpose)?

Last edited:
I've heard that LinkedIn is popular among professionals (i.e. people with jobs), but that probably mostly refers to the typical office-worker types. I'm not sure if it's used by academics.

One that I happen to like is Mendeley. It's primarily an online reference manager (like "iTunes for scientific papers" they say, although I'm not sure that description does it justice), but it does have some basic social networking features. Personally I mostly just use it for the reference management, not the social networking.

PF

:biggrin:

JohnT89 said:
I am already in PF as you can see, and already enjoying it :D
By the way, no: I am not talking about Online Communities such forums, blogs, sites.

I am talking about something like Facebook or Windows Live Spaces.
I heard about ResearchGate, but there are many many others.
The problem with ResearchGate is that I personally find it too 'job and pubblications oriented' and thus 'too much' for a simple enthusiast undergraduate.

Main question:
simply choose the most crowded (most known = more chances that people will have at least one account there) or the niche ones (way, way, way less people but everyone looking for a scientific exchange purpose)?
A lot of scientists belong to groups or associations in their field of study, but I wouldn't call them online social networks. Many also belong to Alumni groups, some of these do arrange social events, but the level of participation varies. "Scientists", unless they're all lying to me, don't hang out like herds at a watering hole, online or off line. :tongue2:

I am "friends" with Leonard Susskind over Facebook.

1. What is a "Scientists' Social Network"?

A "Scientists' Social Network" is a platform where scientists and researchers can connect, collaborate, and share their work with others in their field. It is a specialized social media site designed specifically for scientists to network and communicate with their peers.

2. How can I join a Scientists' Social Network?

To join a Scientists' Social Network, you can typically create an account on the website or app by providing your personal and professional information, such as your name, institution, and research interests. Some networks may require approval from moderators or have specific eligibility criteria.

3. What are the benefits of using a Scientists' Social Network?

Some benefits of using a Scientists' Social Network include the ability to connect and collaborate with other scientists, share and discover research, stay updated on the latest developments in your field, and potentially even find new career opportunities.

4. Is my information safe on a Scientists' Social Network?

Most Scientists' Social Networks have privacy and security measures in place to protect your information. However, it is important to read the terms and conditions and understand how your data will be used and shared on the platform.

5. Are Scientists' Social Networks only for established scientists?

No, Scientists' Social Networks are open to scientists at all stages of their careers, including students and early-career researchers. These networks can be a great way for emerging scientists to connect with and learn from more experienced researchers.