Scissor Lift Actuator Force Calculation

In summary, the scissor lift has a static load of 4500N and a required range of rotation angle of 10mm. The actuator is able to generate a thrust of 28kN.
MayZ91
<< Moderator note: This thread is missing the homework template due originally being posted in another forum >>

Hello,

I am required to find the actuator force for a scissor lift. Below are the images of the same:

upload_2014-10-23_9-41-33.png

upload_2014-10-23_9-42-19.png
upload_2014-10-23_9-42-27.png
For a scissor lift, with weight W acting on it, I have introduced to links (inverted V). At the centre of these two links, i have attached a linear actuator. Because of this setup, for a lesser stroke of the actuator, I am gaining a greater lift.

Now, I should determine the push force required by the actuator. Since the stroke of the actuator and lift are not the same. I need to calculate what should be the push force, for a uniform velocity of the scissor lift.

All the variables related to the mechanical system (i.e length of the links, width of the links, required range of rotation angle) are known.

Please help me resolve this.
Thank you.
upload_2014-10-23_9-41-33.png
upload_2014-10-23_9-42-19.png
upload_2014-10-23_9-42-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have right now determined the static load required to keep the scissor in equilibrium for every 10mm stroke of the actuator. However, I require help in including the effect of uniform velocity.

upload_2014-10-23_14-57-38.png
upload_2014-10-23_14-58-44.png
upload_2014-10-23_14-59-32.png
upload_2014-10-23_15-0-21.png
upload_2014-10-23_15-1-25.png

F3 is the load acting on the point where actuator is mounted.

Hello all, please provide the method to proceed with the problem.
Thank you.

Hello again,
Sorry about not abiding to the rules.
However, it is not a homework. but you can consider it to be one. Its a live project.
For 4500N load on the scissor I got 5000-6000 N load on the actuator in steps. I still need to consider the velocity and hence determine the push force and starting torque.
Just a push/hint to proceed next will be very helpful.

Thanks.

I am getting a very ridiculous value of 28kN force(thrust).
Please guide.

hello, please provide some push at this project.

1. What is a scissor lift actuator force?

A scissor lift actuator force is the amount of force necessary for a scissor lift to raise or lower its platform. This force is typically provided by an electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic motor.

2. How does the scissor lift actuator force affect the lifting capacity of the lift?

The scissor lift actuator force directly impacts the lifting capacity of the lift. The higher the actuator force, the greater the weight the lift can handle. However, other factors such as the weight distribution of the load and the stability of the scissor lift also play a role in determining the lifting capacity.

3. What is the typical range of scissor lift actuator forces?

The typical range of scissor lift actuator forces can vary depending on the size and type of the lift. However, they typically range from 500 pounds to 10,000 pounds. It is important to choose a scissor lift with an appropriate actuator force for the intended use.

4. How is the scissor lift actuator force measured?

The scissor lift actuator force is typically measured in pounds (lbs) or newtons (N). It can be measured using a force gauge or by calculating the force based on the pressure and area of the hydraulic or pneumatic system.

5. Can the scissor lift actuator force be adjusted?

In most cases, the scissor lift actuator force can be adjusted by changing the settings of the motor or by using different size hydraulic or pneumatic components. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines before attempting to adjust the actuator force.