1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SCR Circuit Problem

1. Dec 31, 2007 #1
    I came across a circuit online to vary the 220V input into a welder. This is done to control the amount of current entering the piece being welded, using a foot pedal. The circuit has worked for many people.

I built the circuit, but it doesnt work. R2 blew when I would crank the pot up, and there was no current entering the welder. I dont know if the SCR fired or not, but it wouldnt weld or make a spark what so ever.

My initial thoughts are that the circuit was designed for a particular type of SCR, and mine isnt compatible.

Also, im an EE student but im just starting out, I have some circuit theory under my belt, but im not sure on what to use as a voltage in this circuit, as its all part of the 220V line.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for the size of the pictures, but I wanted to keep the detail.

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    In my lifetime I have worked on all kinds of complicated equipment, including welders and they are the worst because they are a basic power supply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?