Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SCR Circuit Problem

1. Dec 31, 2007 #1
    I came across a circuit online to vary the 220V input into a welder. This is done to control the amount of current entering the piece being welded, using a foot pedal. The circuit has worked for many people.

I built the circuit, but it doesnt work. R2 blew when I would crank the pot up, and there was no current entering the welder. I dont know if the SCR fired or not, but it wouldnt weld or make a spark what so ever.

My initial thoughts are that the circuit was designed for a particular type of SCR, and mine isnt compatible.

Also, im an EE student but im just starting out, I have some circuit theory under my belt, but im not sure on what to use as a voltage in this circuit, as its all part of the 220V line.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for the size of the pictures, but I wanted to keep the detail.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    In my lifetime I have worked on all kinds of complicated equipment, including welders and they are the worst because they are a basic power supply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?