Solving SCR Circuit Problem - EE Student Seeking Help

In summary, a circuit was found online that allows for the variation of the 220V input into a welder using a foot pedal. However, when the circuit was built, it did not work and the R2 component blew. It is suspected that the circuit was designed for a specific type of SCR and may not be compatible with the one used. The person asking for help is an EE student and is unsure of what voltage to use in the circuit. They apologize for the large pictures but wanted to provide detailed information.
tanky322
I came across a circuit online to vary the 220V input into a welder. This is done to control the amount of current entering the piece being welded, using a foot pedal. The circuit has worked for many people.

I built the circuit, but it doesn't work. R2 blew when I would crank the pot up, and there was no current entering the welder. I don't know if the SCR fired or not, but it wouldn't weld or make a spark what so ever.

My initial thoughts are that the circuit was designed for a particular type of SCR, and mine isn't compatible.

Also, I am an EE student but I am just starting out, I have some circuit theory under my belt, but I am not sure on what to use as a voltage in this circuit, as its all part of the 220V line.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for the size of the pictures, but I wanted to keep the detail.

Thank you!

pedal.jpg

kt210_Page_1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my lifetime I have worked on all kinds of complicated equipment, including welders and they are the worst because they are a basic power supply.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your SCR circuit problem. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into building this circuit and it can be frustrating when it doesn't work as expected. Let's see if we can troubleshoot and find a solution.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that all components in the circuit are compatible and able to handle the voltage and current levels involved. It is possible that the SCR you are using is not suitable for this circuit. I would recommend checking the datasheet of the SCR and comparing it to the one used in the original design. This can help determine if it is the cause of the issue.

Another potential issue could be the potentiometer (R2) being used. Make sure it has the correct resistance rating and is able to handle the current flowing through it. If it is not suitable, it can easily blow when the pot is cranked up.

In terms of the voltage to use in the circuit, you can use a step-down transformer to lower the 220V input to a more manageable level. This can also help protect your components and prevent any accidents.

Lastly, I would recommend double-checking all connections and making sure they are correct and secure. Sometimes a simple mistake can cause a circuit to not work.

If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking help from a more experienced individual, such as a professor or a professional in the field. They can offer valuable insights and guide you in the right direction.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in solving your SCR circuit problem. Keep learning and don't be discouraged, as troubleshooting is an important skill for any engineer.

What is an SCR circuit?

An SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier) circuit is an electronic component that acts as a switch, allowing current to flow in only one direction. It is commonly used in power control applications.

What are some common problems with SCR circuits?

Some common problems with SCR circuits include short circuits, open circuits, and failure to turn off after triggered.

How can I identify and troubleshoot problems with an SCR circuit?

To identify and troubleshoot problems with an SCR circuit, you can perform a visual inspection to check for any physical damage or loose connections. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and measure voltage and current. If the problem persists, you may need to consult a professional or refer to the circuit's schematic diagram for further troubleshooting.

What are some potential solutions for solving an SCR circuit problem?

Some potential solutions for solving an SCR circuit problem include replacing damaged components, improving the circuit's cooling system, and adjusting the trigger voltage or current. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is properly designed and all components are compatible.

Where can I find additional resources for troubleshooting SCR circuit problems?

You can find additional resources for troubleshooting SCR circuit problems from online forums, technical support websites, and electronics textbooks. It is also helpful to consult with experienced engineers or professors in the field.