SCSI vs IDE: Why SCSI HDDs Cost More

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, SCSI HDD is more expensive than IDE HDD due to its faster data transmission speed, RAID capability, and flexibility in terms of number of drives it can support in a system. SCSI also often requires an additional adapter card and is more commonly used in servers and graphic workstations. Although IDE drives can also have some of these features, they may require additional hardware or are not as commonly found.
Saint
why SCSI HDD is more expensive than IDE HDD? The capacity and spinning speed are the same, but price varies.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The capacity and r.p.m. may be the same, but SCSI transmits the data faster, hence the larger price.
(edit: Also, I believe, RAID capability is usually incorporated with SCSI.)

You often need an additional adapter card as well, since most motherboard manufacturers don't include SCSI capability except for servers.

SCSI is faster. But you should try S-ATA, I heard it really rocks...

scsi is more flexible then ide. you can only have 4 ide drives in a system vs. 15 scsi drives in a system, which can be important in a server or a graphic workstation. one reason why servers use scsi is that is one of the hard drives goes, you can keep doing what ever it was you were doing and replace the drive without turing off the systen, and with a good backup program program you lose very little data

You can do that with IDE as well, Raid 5 - Stripe set. This feature is not a part of scsi hard drives, but may be a part of the scsi controller card depending on what you buy.

I personally have not seen an IDE drive spinning at 10k rpm. 7200 is the fastest I have used.

As far as the 4 device IDE limit, you can buy IDE expansion cards that allow you more devices.

SCSI is faster than a normal IDE drive...I have not seen any S-ATA devices, I'll have to go check that out

1. What is the difference between SCSI and IDE?

SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) and IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) are two different types of hard drives. SCSI drives are typically used in servers and high-performance computers, while IDE drives are commonly found in personal computers. The main difference between the two is their interface - SCSI drives use a parallel interface, while IDE drives use a serial interface.

2. Why do SCSI HDDs cost more than IDE HDDs?

There are a few reasons why SCSI HDDs tend to cost more than IDE HDDs. One reason is that SCSI drives are designed for high-performance and reliability, making them more expensive to manufacture. Additionally, SCSI drives often have more advanced features such as hot-swapping and error correction, which contribute to their higher cost.

3. Are SCSI HDDs better than IDE HDDs?

It depends on the specific needs and usage of the user. SCSI drives are generally better for high-performance and server applications, as they have faster data transfer rates and better error handling. However, for basic personal computer usage, IDE drives are a more cost-effective option.

4. Can SCSI and IDE drives be used together?

Yes, it is possible to use both SCSI and IDE drives in the same computer. However, they cannot be connected to the same interface and require separate controllers. This means that special hardware and configurations may be needed to use both types of drives in one system.

5. Are there any advantages to using SCSI drives over IDE drives?

Aside from their higher performance and reliability, SCSI drives also have a greater capacity for expansion. IDE drives typically have a limit of two drives per controller, while SCSI drives can support up to 16 drives per controller. This makes SCSI drives a better choice for large storage systems or servers that require multiple hard drives.