Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Derivative Doesn't Work!

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    Starting with y^2-xy=2, then y'=y/(2y-x)

y''=(2y-x)y'-y(2y'-1)/(2y-x)^2

substitute y' in:
    y''=(2y-x)(y/2y-x) - y(2(y/2y-x)-1)

the (2y-x) cancels:
    y''=(y) - y(2y/2y-x)-1)

distribute:
    y'' = y - (2y^2)/(2y-x)-y

Somewhere I need y^2-xy so I can replace it with the original 2, but I'm not getting it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    No. He wants to implicitly differentiate to get [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex].

[tex]y^2 - xy = 2 \Longrightarrow 2y\frac{d y}{dx} - y - x\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 \Longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{2y-x}[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dx}}{2y-x} \ - \ \frac{y(2\frac{dy}{dx} - 1)}{(2y-x)^2} = \frac{\frac{y}{2y-x}}{2y-x} \ - \ \frac{y\left( \frac{2y}{2y-x} - 1\right)}{(2y-x)^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{y}{(2y-x)^2} \ - \ \frac{y\frac{2y - (2y-x)}{2y-x}}{(2y-x)^2} = \frac{y}{(2y-x)^2} \ - \ \frac{yx}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{y(2y-x) - xy}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{2y^2 - 2xy}{(2y-x)^3} = \frac{4}{(2y-x)^3}[/tex]

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    I don't really follow. Why is the second derivative = first deriv - (top)(bottom)/(bottom)^2?

In the book, the quotient rule is ((bottom)(top)' - (top)(bottom)')/(bottom)^2. That's what I tried to do, but it didn't work.

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Data chose to differentiate by using the product rule on the function [tex]y(x)*\frac{1}{2y-x}[/tex]

And, I have to add, the second derivative ALWAYS works, even if you don't know what to use it for..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Instead of looking for a y^2 - xy that you can replace with 2, maybe you could figure out what to replace y^2 with? Why'd you want to do that anyways?

(I'm assuming your work was right)

7. Mar 16, 2005 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not what you did. Look above. It should be y'/(2y-x)-y(2y'-1)/(2y-x)^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?