Second master degree in Physics?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual has a master's degree in physics from Stockholm University but with a low GPA. They have applied for a PhD in the US but did not receive any acceptance. They are considering applying for a second master's degree in the US or looking for PhD positions in the EU. There is also a discussion about the accuracy of WES grade conversions and the importance of high GRE scores for international students. It is recommended to apply to a variety of universities and consider countries other than the UK for a PhD.
mahondi
Hi all,

I just would like to ask that I took my master degree in physics at Stockholm Uni. Although my research was great (first author of a paper in top ranked journal ),my gpa was terrible. I am not sure but It is something like 2.62(When I convert it via website wes.org). I applied Phd in US but I did not get any acceptance. What should I do? Should I apply for a second master degree in Physics in US?

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
WES grade conversions in general aren't very "accurate". By it's metrics, a very top student at my university in Spain (who has grades good enough to receive several scholarships throughout the degree) has a 3.1 GPA, which is dismal in the US. Comparing grades from widely different education systems is very tricky.

If you already have a MS degree, why not try applying to phd positions in the EU. You are qualified for many of them and it makes more sense in your situation. If you're bent on applying to the US, I would probably concentrate on getting a very high score on the GRE's and applying to a variety middle tier schools with specific research foci in mind.

Thank you for the reply. I took my bachelor in some university at Turkey. Do you know that which university do you suggest in EU for the Phd? And I applied Carnegie Mellon,Purdue,Rochester in US but I did not get any acceptance. I think they are also middle tier, right?

I also need to say that I forgot Canadian Universities already since they want an 3.5 gpa for the master to get into Phd.

Thank you.

There are many, look around. Try any country except the UK, as you will require 3 years of residency in order to qualify for a phd studentship.

Applying to only 3 schools is not enough, especially as an international student. Aim for high scores on the GRE's (900+) and try applying to a dozen universities next time.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your concern about your GPA and the impact it may have on your future academic pursuits. However, it is important to remember that a GPA is just one aspect of your academic profile and does not define your potential or capabilities as a researcher.

If you are interested in pursuing a second master's degree in Physics in the US, I would suggest researching and carefully considering the program and its requirements. It may also be helpful to reach out to the program director or faculty to discuss your academic background and any concerns you may have. Additionally, you could highlight your research experience and publication in your application to showcase your strengths as a researcher.

Alternatively, you could also consider gaining research experience through internships or working as a research assistant before applying for a PhD program. This could demonstrate your commitment and potential as a researcher and may also help improve your chances of acceptance into a PhD program.

Overall, it is important to not let one aspect of your academic record discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics. Keep working hard and exploring different opportunities, and I am sure you will find success in your academic journey. Best of luck!

1. What is a second master degree in Physics?

A second master degree in Physics is a graduate-level academic program that allows students to further specialize and deepen their knowledge in the field of physics. It typically requires completing additional coursework and conducting research in a specific area of interest.

2. Who is eligible for a second master degree in Physics?

Individuals who have already earned a master's degree in Physics or a related field are eligible for a second master degree in Physics. Some programs may also consider applicants who have a bachelor's degree in a related field and relevant work experience.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a second master degree in Physics?

A second master degree in Physics can provide individuals with advanced knowledge and skills in their chosen area of specialization. It can also open up opportunities for career advancement, research opportunities, and higher salaries.

4. How long does it take to complete a second master degree in Physics?

The duration of a second master degree in Physics can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it may take 1-2 years of full-time study to complete, but part-time options may be available.

5. What are the career options for someone with a second master degree in Physics?

Individuals with a second master degree in Physics can pursue various career paths in research, academia, government agencies, and industries such as healthcare, technology, and energy. They may also work as consultants, data analysts, or science writers.