Solving Second Moment of Area for Beam w/ Missing Circle

In summary, the problem at hand is calculating the I value for a beam that changes from a 1" x 1" square to a 5" x 0.5" beam. The beam also has a missing circle in the front square, which needs to be accounted for. The formula for Ixx provided is incorrect, and the correct approach is to calculate I for the square without the hole and subtract the I for a cylinder. However, the resulting I will be about its own centroid, not the centroid of the beam, so the parallel axis theorem needs to be applied for the square and rectangular sections before adding them up. It is also important to determine whether the I value is needed about the x-axis or the y-axis
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

I'm having a problem calculating the I value for this beam. I'm not sure on how to account for the missing circle in the front square and how to account for the beam changing from a 1" x 1" square to a 5" x 0.5" beam

Homework Equations

Ixx = bh^12/12

The centroid of the beam is around x = 2.89711 in

The thickness of the beam is the same and so is it's density

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a picture of the beam

**If there was no missing circle, could I just add I_square + I_rect = I_total? **

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
ganondorf29:
The reason why you need to calculate I (2nd moment of area) is not clear. Please include a complete statement of the problem you are trying to solve.

ganondorf29 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a picture of the beam

**If there was no missing circle, could I just add I_square + I_rect = I_total? **

First thing, just get I for the square (with no hole in it) and then subtract the I for a cylinder. That will give you the I for the shape.

Second thing: The I that you get will be about its own centroid, not the centroid of the beam. So you need apply parallel axis theorem for the square (with the hole) and the rectangular section before you add them up.

Do you want the I about the x-axis, or the y-axis? If about the x-axis, the parallel axis theorem as suggested by rockfreak does not apply. You made a mistake in your formula for Ixx in post #1. Can you see what the error is?

rock.freak667 said:
First thing, just get I for the square (with no hole in it) and then subtract the I for a cylinder. That will give you the I for the shape.

Second thing: The I that you get will be about its own centroid, not the centroid of the beam. So you need apply parallel axis theorem for the square (with the hole) and the rectangular section before you add them up.

EDIT: Pongo is right, forget my parallel axis thing, I keep substituting I with J.

1. What is the second moment of area for a beam?

The second moment of area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending. It is calculated by summing the products of the area and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation for each element of the object.

2. How do you calculate the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle?

To calculate the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle, you will need to divide the beam into smaller sections, calculate the second moment of area for each section, and then sum the values to get the total second moment of area for the entire beam. This process is known as the parallel axis theorem.

3. What is the purpose of solving for the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle?

The second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle is important because it allows us to determine the bending stress and deflection of the beam. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and forces.

4. What factors can affect the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle?

The second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the missing circle, the material properties of the beam, and the load and boundary conditions applied to the beam.

5. Are there any limitations to using the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle?

Yes, there are limitations to using the second moment of area for a beam with a missing circle. The calculations assume that the beam is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the material properties are constant throughout the beam. Additionally, the calculations may not accurately represent the behavior of the beam if the missing circle is a large portion of the beam's total area.