Second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving a constant coefficient and finding the auxiliary equation, discriminant, and roots. However, there is confusion about the values of L and C, and further information is needed to continue solving the problem.
realmm
How do i solve the following equation?

u= L*(d^2i/dt)+ (1/c)*i r* (di/dt)L= 1,4 mF
C= 0,31 H
R= 1000 ohm

Well i have so far found the auxiliary equation:
0,31*r^2 + 1000*r + 1/(1,4*10^-6)=0

And the discriminant is found to be 114286. This makes the form of the solution:

Y=c1*e^r1x + c2*e^r2x

I have found the roots:

r1=-1067,64
r2= -2158,18

But I am stuck now and do not know what to do now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Please, show your own work.

For further information, please see the forum guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94383

Are you sure you have written the equation correctly? As written, it is not a constant coefficient equation and your "auxiliary equation" doesn't make sense.

realmm said:
How do i solve the following equation?

u= L*(d^2i/dt)+ (1/c)*i r* (di/dt)
You mean u= l(d^2i/dt^2)+ (1/c)i+ r(di/dt)

L= 1,4 mF
C= 0,31 H
R= 1000 ohm

Well i have so far found the auxiliary equation:
0,31*r^2 + 1000*r + 1/(1,4*10^-6)=0
No, the auxiliary equation would be [itex]1,4r^2+ 1000 di/dt+ 3.2= 0[/itex]. You are mixing up L and C.

And the discriminant is found to be 114286. This makes the form of the solution:

Y=c1*e^r1x + c2*e^r2x

I have found the roots:

r1=-1067,64
r2= -2158,18

But I am stuck now and do not know what to do now.
What is u? A constant? If so, try a solution of the form i= A, a constant. What would A have to be to satisfy that equation?

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is:
y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x)
where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and g(x) is a known function.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are different methods for solving a second order differential equation, depending on the type of equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. In some cases, a numerical or graphical approach may be used.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

A homogeneous second order differential equation has a right-hand side of zero (g(x) = 0), while a non-homogeneous equation has a non-zero right-hand side. This means that the solution to a homogeneous equation only depends on the initial conditions, while the solution to a non-homogeneous equation also depends on the forcing function g(x).

What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model various physical processes. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of a pendulum, the flow of heat in a rod, or the behavior of an electrical circuit. They are also used in economics to model the relationship between supply and demand in markets.