Second-Order Differential Equation

In summary, for the given differential equation, one solution is x=A cos(\omega t), where \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}. This can be proven by assuming a solution of the form y=erx and plugging it into the equation. Additionally, any linear combination of the two solutions e^{\omega it} and e^{-\omega it}, such as cos \omega t, will also be a solution.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that for the differential equation [tex]m x''(t) = -k x(t)[/tex], one solution is [tex]x=A cos(\omega t)[/tex], where [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2+1 = (x+i)(x-i)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I haven't taken differential equations yet, but I understand that you have to turn this differential equation into a polynomial somehow. Then, the roots of that polynomial give you the solution. I need the details, though...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're given a solution, you can prove it satisfies the equation simply by plugging it in.

More generally, for a homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, you can assume a solution of the form y=erx. Plug that into the differential equation and see what you get.

Hmm... all right, let's assume that's the case...

if x=A e^(rt), then x'' = r^2 A e^(rt), and so...

m r^2 A e^(rt) = - k A e^(rt)

Divide both sides by A e^(rt), because that's never zero...

m r^2 + k = 0

Divide both sides by k...

[tex]\frac{m}{k} r^2 + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} r\right)^2 + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} r + i\right) = 0, r = -\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} i = -\omega i[/tex]

[tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} r - i\right) = 0, r = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} i = \omega i[/tex]

So, we get...

[tex]x(t) = A ( e^{\omega i t} + e^{-\omega i t}) = A cos(\omega t)[/tex]

Is that right?

Why not start with x(t) = Acos(wt), take m times the second derivative, and confirm that it is equal to -kx(t)?

Because our physics teacher challenged us to do it the hard way.

Yes, that's right. Any linear combination of the two solutions you found, eiωx and e-iωx, in particular cos ωx, will also be a solution.

Related to Second-Order Differential Equation

1. What is a second-order differential equation?

A second-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It is used to model systems that involve acceleration or change in rate of change, such as motion, oscillations, and growth.

2. How is a second-order differential equation solved?

A second-order differential equation is typically solved by finding a particular solution that satisfies the equation, as well as any initial conditions given. This can be done analytically using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. Numerical methods can also be used to approximate solutions.

3. What are the applications of second-order differential equations?

Second-order differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are commonly used to model physical systems such as motion, vibrations, and electrical circuits, as well as growth and decay processes in biology and economics.

4. What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order differential equation?

The main difference between a first-order and a second-order differential equation is the number of derivatives involved. A first-order equation only involves the first derivative of a function, while a second-order equation involves the first and second derivatives. This means that a second-order equation is more complex and has a wider range of possible solutions.

5. Can a second-order differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second-order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because it is a second-order equation with two arbitrary constants, which means that there can be infinitely many solutions that satisfy the equation and any given initial conditions. However, some equations may have a unique solution or a finite number of solutions.