Second order non homogeneous diff. equation at constant coefficients

In summary, the person has trouble solving an equation and suggests an equation that does not work. They find the mistake and correct it.
Telemachus
Hi there. I had some trouble trying to solve this:

[tex]y''+y=\cos x +3\sin 2x[/tex] (1)

At first I just found the solution for the homogeneous equation:
[tex]y_h=e^{\lambda x} \rightarrow \lambda^2+1=0 \rightarrow \lambda_1,\lambda_2=\pm i[/tex]

Then [tex]y_h=C_1\cos x+ C_2 \sin x[/tex]

So I've tried to find the particular solution. I thought I should suggest an equation like:
[tex]y_p=A\cos x +b\sin x+ C\cos 2x +D\sin 2x[/tex]
[tex]y_p'=-A\sin x +B\cos x - 2C\sin 2x + 2D\cos 2x[/tex]
[tex]y_p''=-A\cos x -B\sin x - 4C\cos 2x - 4D\sin 2x[/tex]
But then, when I've tried to find the undetermined coefficients for [tex]y_p[/tex] coefficients replacing in (1):

[tex]-A\cos x -B\sin x - 4C\cos 2x - 4D\sin 2x+A\cos x +b\sin x+ C\cos 2x +D\sin 2x=\cos x +3\sin x \rightarrow -3C\cos 2x -3D\sin 2x=cos(x)+3\sin 2x[/tex]
Then A=0,B=0,C=0 and D=-1.

So the general solution should be
[tex]y(x)=y_h+y_p=C_1\cos x+ C_2 \sin x-\sin 2x[/tex]
But with wolfram alpha I've corroborated my solution is wrong: y''+y=cos(x)+3 sin(2x) - Wolfram|Alpha

So, where is the mistake and how should I do this?

I think I've found unless one mistake, just noted it. I should use [tex]y_p=Ax \cos x +B x \sin x + C\sin 2x+ D\cos 2x[/tex] instead of [tex]y_p=A\cos x +b\sin x+ C\cos 2x +D\sin 2x[/tex], because the first two terms are linearly dependent with the homogeneous solution, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your particular solution, try
[tex]y_p=Ax\cos x +Bx\sin x[/tex]

The problem here is that cos(x) and sin(x) are solutions of the homogeneous version of your differential equation, so a particular solution (of the nonhomogeneous equation) can't include either of these functions.

right, I've made a mistake in (1) that I've just corrected, it was 2x for the sine instead of x. Shouldn't I add some more terms for the particular solution corresponding to the part of the equality of [tex]3\sin 2x[/tex]?

For this nonhomogeneous equation,
[tex]y''+y=\cos x +3\sin 2x[/tex]

try this for your particular solution,
[tex]y_p=Ax\cos x +Bx\sin x + C\cos 2x + D\sin 2x[/tex]

Thank you Mark :)

De nada...

I didn't go into any detail about why I chose the functions I did. For relatively simple nonhomogenous, constant coefficient, linear differential equations, the concept of annihilators provides some insight into the choices for the particular solutions.

In this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=348247, in post #4, I talk about it a bit.

Muchas gracias :D

1. What is a second order non-homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

A second order non-homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients is a mathematical expression that involves a second derivative of a function, along with the function itself and its first derivative. The coefficients in this equation are constants, meaning they do not vary with respect to the independent variable. The equation is considered non-homogeneous because it includes a function that is not equal to zero.

2. How is a second order non-homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients solved?

To solve a second order non-homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, one must first find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, a particular solution is found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The general and particular solutions are then added together to get the final solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is one in which all terms involve only the function and its derivatives. This means there is no external or non-homogeneous function present. On the other hand, a non-homogeneous differential equation includes an external function that is not equal to zero. This external function is often referred to as the forcing function.

4. Why are constant coefficients important in second order non-homogeneous differential equations?

Constant coefficients are important in second order non-homogeneous differential equations because they allow for the use of specific solution methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods rely on the coefficients being constant in order to find a particular solution.

5. In what real-life situations do second order non-homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients arise?

Second order non-homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients can arise in many different areas of science and engineering, such as in electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and population growth models. They can also be used to describe physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the vibrations of a guitar string.