Seemingly simple proof I can't seem to get

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the equation Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx) is true for all x, but to solve for a, b, and c, you need to use the Euler Formula expansion.
mathlete
I have:

Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx)

I have to show a=b=c and A+B=C but I can't... I've tried some standard tricks like squaring both sides, taking the derivative, then playing around with the equations but I can't get anything to stick. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to be true for all x, right? What about your favorite value of x?

Hurkyl said:
It has to be true for all x, right? What about your favorite value of x?
Yes, sorry, for all x... and I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by my favorite value of x (x=0?)

There surely have to be some more restrictions than this, otherwise A+B=0=C, a=b=anything, and c is anything else not equal to a

matt grime said:
There surely have to be some more restrictions than this, otherwise A+B=0=C, a=b=anything, and c is anything else not equal to a
Question word for word...

"Suppose Ae^(iax)+Be^(ibx)=Ce^(icx), for some nonzero constants A, B, C, a, b, c, and for all x. Prove that a=b=c and A+B=C"

Any ideas?

The Euler Formula expansion is key.

No it's not. You just have to use the fact it's true for all x.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by my favorite value of x (x=0?)
The equation is true for x=0, right? What does the equation look like when x=0?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
No it's not. You just have to use the fact it's true for all x.

The equation is true for x=0, right? What does the equation look like when x=0?
Nevermind then... I was thinking if it had to be true for any given constant value of x that would be the way to go about it.

Actually, what do you mean by Euler's expansion? I was thinking e^(ix) = cos x + i sin x... though I don't remember if I've ever heard it named that.

If so, then this does give you a shortcut if you know the relevant theorems... but the same shortcut works directly for the problem at hand!

1. How do I know if my proof is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your proof is correct. One method is to have a peer review your proof and provide feedback. Another method is to walk through your proof step by step and make sure each step is logically sound. You can also use mathematical software or tools to assist in verifying your proof.

2. What can I do if I get stuck on a seemingly simple proof?

If you get stuck on a proof, it's important to not get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving each part individually. Additionally, seeking help from a mentor or tutor can also be beneficial.

3. How can I improve my proof writing skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving proof writing skills. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles behind the problem before attempting to write a proof. It may also be helpful to read and analyze proofs written by others to gain a better understanding of proof structure and techniques.

4. Is there a specific format for writing proofs?

There is no set format for writing proofs, as it can vary depending on the problem and the individual's personal style. However, a general structure for a proof typically includes an introduction, the statement of the problem, a list of given information, the proof, and a conclusion. It's important to be clear, concise, and logical in your writing.

5. What should I do if my proof is incorrect?

If you realize that your proof is incorrect, don't panic. Take some time to identify where the mistake was made and try to understand why it was incorrect. Then, go back and correct the mistake. It's also helpful to review and analyze the mistake to prevent similar errors in the future.