Self balancing stick based on flywheels

• I
  • Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, the limit on how much torque a motor can generate is based on how long it can speed up. If you push in one direction, the motor will have to keep accelerating to generate an opposite torque.
RubinLicht
so I recently saw a video where a stick had two flywheels attached on the top, they would accelerate or decelerate based on the pitch of the stick.

my question= if you delivered enough impulse do the stick, would the stick stop being able to balance? since the restoring torque is based on acceleration, if you push in one direction, it'll have to keep accelerating to generate an opposite torque. what happens when you can't accelerate the motor any more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a link to the video?

Likes Merlin3189
Given how the motor has a limited amount of torque it can exert through acceleration, I would think it's rather obvious that there will be an amount of impact above which the motor can not counteract.

that was not what I asked. my question is about how a restoring torque is limited by how long the motor can speed up for.

what I mean is, the flywheel can only general a restoring torque through ACCELERATION, what this implies, is if you need to generate a constant restoring force, you need to accelerate for the entire time. however, there's clearly a point where the flywheel cannot accelerate past. so, how relevant is this limit? if you impart a non zero vector sum of impulse to the rod, will it eventually not be able to balance anymore?

Your question comes down to, can you indefinitely accelerate a motor? I think the answer is kinda obvious.

RubinLicht said:
if you delivered enough impulse do the stick, would the stick stop being able to balance?
Trivialy yes.
since the restoring torque is based on acceleration, if you push in one direction, it'll have to keep accelerating to generate an opposite torque.
You are ignoring gyroscopic effects here.

Sorry, I was confusing it with the cubli, which minimizes the flywheel velocities so that gyroscopic effects are negligible.

I was wondering, if you stopped just short of the motor reaching max rotational speed, would there be a way to "reset" the default rotational speed back to zero, or are you just stuck with the new "default" speed, which is very close to the max rotational speed.

cubli :

RubinLicht said:
I was wondering, if you stopped just short of the motor reaching max rotational speed, would there be a way to "reset" the default rotational speed back to zero, or are you just stuck with the new "default" speed, which is very close to the max rotational speed.
Yes.

If a motor was near maxing out in one direction, one would want the control system designed to generate a little extra torque with the last bit of available angular momentum. Enough extra to tip the stick back the other way. Then the motor could slowly spin down.

The same basic scheme is used on a Segway, a unicycle or a man walking down the street. If one is close to the limiting speed in one direction, it is time to push extra hard in that direction, cancelling the original lean angle, generating a reverse lean and slowing back down.

ah yes I understand now. thanks.

What is a self balancing stick based on flywheels?

A self balancing stick based on flywheels is a device that uses the principles of gyroscopic stability and rotational inertia to maintain its balance. It consists of a stick or pole with one or more flywheels attached to it, which spin at high speeds to keep the stick upright.

How does a self balancing stick based on flywheels work?

The spinning flywheels create a gyroscopic effect, which causes the stick to resist any changes in its orientation. As the stick starts to tilt, the flywheels exert a torque that counteracts the motion and keeps the stick balanced.

What are the applications of a self balancing stick based on flywheels?

Self balancing sticks based on flywheels have a wide range of applications, including as a toy or novelty item, a physical therapy tool for balance training, and a research tool for studying gyroscopic motion and stability. They can also be used as a demonstration of basic principles of physics and engineering.

Are there any limitations to a self balancing stick based on flywheels?

While self balancing sticks based on flywheels can maintain their balance for a significant period of time, they are still subject to external forces such as friction and air resistance. This means that they will eventually slow down and fall over, especially if they are not perfectly balanced or if the surface they are on is not completely smooth.

How can a self balancing stick based on flywheels be improved?

Researchers are constantly exploring ways to improve the design and functionality of self balancing sticks based on flywheels. Some potential improvements include using more sophisticated sensors and control systems to adjust the flywheel speed and orientation, as well as incorporating other mechanisms such as springs or magnets for additional stability.