Self-study for a beginner: how to pace math vs. physics?

In summary: I don't actually have one that I'm using as a model yet! I'm still in the early stages of self-study myself.
UsableThought
I'm new to the forums (here's my intro post). Also new to studying physics, though I did do one year in high school many decades back, too far to really count; and in addition have been studying EM & electronics for the past year, but mostly in an applied sense. Aside from enjoying myself, one of my goals is to very very very slowly do enough self-study of classical mechanics so that I can take a more serious dig into my electronics texts; specifically, I'd like a better foundation for concepts such as work, energy, etc. I've gone through this forum & have bookmarked previous posts asking about self-study & will be reviewing those; I've also bookmarked & have begun reading about a half-dozen articles in the "Insights" section pertaining to self-study.

Now for my question: It seems to me that if I were to really be very careful about it, I would need to devote a rather serious length of time to revisiting high school math, plus catching up in some areas I didn't study, e.g. trig, before I could even begin to contemplate taking on classical mechanics at let us say a high school physics level. Yet I am pretty sure that at both the high school & freshman college level, a strictly serial approach is not how it's done; somehow things are managed so as to have students study both subjects together. At my age (59), with my other responsibilities, I don't have as much time as would a full-time student; but I'd still like to know if there is some way to arrange my study such that I could lead off with the math, give it a decent head start, and then at a certain point arrange to begin at least some classical mechanics topics. Opinions & advice welcome, whether pro or con.

Physics news on Phys.org
UsableThought said:
Now for my question: It seems to me that if I were to really be very careful about it, I would need to devote a rather serious length of time to revisiting high school math, plus catching up in some areas I didn't study, e.g. trig, before I could even begin to contemplate taking on classical mechanics at let us say a high school physics level. Yet I am pretty sure that at both the high school & freshman college level, a strictly serial approach is not how it's done; somehow things are managed so as to have students study both subjects together. At my age (59), with my other responsibilities, I don't have as much time as would a full-time student; but I'd still like to know if there is some way to arrange my study such that I could lead off with the math, give it a decent head start, and then at a certain point arrange to begin at least some classical mechanics topics. Opinions & advice welcome, whether pro or con.

I followed a similar approach many years before, in order to boost math and self - study physics - I have formally undergrad CS education. What is needed in my opinion is Calculus (solve many problems especially in II and III), Linear Algebra (as far as you can get provided you spent really good efforts) and personally I got in more abstract topics like Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis to name a few, just because I like math. Also, after high school, I graduated a two years technical school in Electronics, but the theoretical knowledge was not too deep and the math a little higher than high school (mostly professional education dealing with lots of practical aspects). Through my self study in math and physics afterwards, I can tell that I have a much better grasping of the concepts, even though this is not my main job. So, math is what you need and you can do it in parallel with some study of physics, as the time you have to spare permits. It may take you a long time if you don't have much time to spend but you can do it, if you really like it.

Likes UsableThought
Thanks, @QuantumQuest.

I did some further Googling and looks like the answer to my question about high school physics specifically is fairly simple: all that's typically required for most high schools, it seems, is basic algebra and trig; some deriving of simple functions from graphed data; scientific notation, rounding, significant figures; and vector addition in 2 dimensions.

Since I already do know basic algebra (but am reviewing it), and have done some graphing of functions fairly recently as part of my self-taught electronics curriculum, then all I'd really need math-wise would be a fairly intensive but minimalist exposure to trig, plus the other fairly brief but important topics above. Quite doable w/ a few months hard work, I should think. An appropriate physics text might be. the lighter of the two Crowell books, "Light and Matter".

1. How much time should I spend on math vs. physics when self-studying?

The amount of time you spend on math and physics will depend on your learning style and goals. It is generally recommended to spend an equal amount of time on each subject, as they are closely related and will reinforce each other. However, you may need to adjust this ratio based on your strengths and weaknesses in each subject.

2. Should I study math and physics simultaneously or focus on one at a time?

This will also depend on your learning style and goals. Some people find it helpful to study both subjects simultaneously, as they can see the connections between the two. Others may find it more beneficial to focus on one subject at a time, especially if they are struggling with a particular concept. Experiment with both methods and see what works best for you.

3. How can I pace my self-study effectively for math and physics?

The key to effective self-study is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set specific goals for each study session and break up your study time into smaller chunks. It is also important to take breaks and give yourself time to process the information you are learning.

4. What resources can I use for self-studying math and physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying math and physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find resources that work best for you and to utilize a variety of sources for a well-rounded understanding of the subjects.

5. How can I stay motivated while self-studying math and physics?

Self-studying can be challenging, so it is important to find ways to stay motivated. Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable. And remember to take breaks and allow yourself to have some fun in between study sessions.