Recommendations for self-teaching physics without previous knowledge?

• Thread starter miguelandresb
  • Start date
In summary, the student is having difficulty with physical quantities and units, measurement techniques, kinematics, dynamics, forces, density and pressure, work, energy and power, deformation of solids, waves, superposition, electric fields, current of electricity, and particle and nuclear physics. Outside resources may be useful for problem solving, but the student first needs to avail themselves of the resources at their school. Most professors have office hours, and the student can often find help from tutors.
miguelandresb
Good morning. I've been trying to study physics but I haven't achieved any success. My professor is kind of wack, in the sense that he gets confused by his own words.

The book that the school gave us does have problems but doesn't include answers, so I don't really know if what I am doing is correct. I bought a book for a self-teaching guide and it does not work because the concepts are not explained well and it has a weird way of solving problems.

Do you guys have any pdf books or a guide that I could follow? We are already way beyond topics because my teacher does evaluate and give us exams and I feel that I do not know any basic physics. I struggle with rectilinear motion and it should not happen at this level. I want to know where the formulas come from and understand physics at the level of understanding nature by its beauty and complexity, I don't want to memorize and not really understanding what I am given

I really do have the motivation and I understand concepts really well because I have read many books about science popularization (Divulgacion Cientifica, for Spanish speakers) about abstract and complex topics of physics, but these books give you a very superficial understanding

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this for a freshman physics class? Is it calculus based? What topics are covered in this class?

Outside resources can be useful, but you may first avail yourself of the resources at your school. Most professors have office hours, and I was always happy to help students work problems from the book. Many schools these days also have tutoring centers that include plenty of help for intro physics courses. I've worked at these, and several STEM majors I've mentored work at these. There are knowledgeable and helpful people there who will sit down with you and help you solve physics problems from your book or other sources.

Sometimes outside resources may be needed - such as late at night when tutors and your professor are not available. With some practice, googling up a video example of someone solving a similar problem is straightforward. A link to my wife's youtube channel is in my sig below, and there are a lot of other youtube channels that provide solutions to physics problems.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this for a freshman physics class? Is it calculus based? What topics are covered in this class?
Thank you for your answer.
This is a Cambride AS class. I am in my senior year of High School and no, we are not supposed to use Calculus.
Topics covered:
Physical quantities and units • Measurement techniques • Kinematics • Dynamics • Forces, density and pressure • Work, energy and power • Deformation of solids • Waves • Superposition • Electric fields • Current of electricity • D.C. circuits • Particle and nuclear physics

Dr. Courtney said:
Outside resources can be useful, but you may first avail yourself of the resources at your school. Most professors have office hours, and I was always happy to help students work problems from the book. Many schools these days also have tutoring centers that include plenty of help for intro physics courses. I've worked at these, and several STEM majors I've mentored work at these. There are knowledgeable and helpful people there who will sit down with you and help you solve physics problems from your book or other sources.

Sometimes outside resources may be needed - such as late at night when tutors and your professor are not available. With some practice, googling up a video example of someone solving a similar problem is straightforward. A link to my wife's youtube channel is in my sig below, and there are a lot of other youtube channels that provide solutions to physics problems.
Thank you for your answer.
There is no such thing as tutoring for Physics at my school and the problem is the actual professor; I do not understand him
In order to solve physics problems, I need previous knowledge. That is what I am asking for

What is the best way to start learning physics without any previous knowledge?

The best way to start learning physics without any previous knowledge is to begin with the fundamentals. This includes understanding basic concepts such as motion, forces, and energy. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry, as they are essential for understanding physics.

What are some good resources for self-teaching physics?

There are many resources available for self-teaching physics, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. It is also helpful to join online forums or study groups to connect with others who are also learning physics.

How can I stay motivated while self-teaching physics?

Staying motivated while self-teaching physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to keep yourself on track. Set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable. And most importantly, remember why you are learning physics and how it will benefit you in the long run.

Is it possible to learn physics without a strong background in math?

While a strong background in math can certainly make learning physics easier, it is still possible to learn without it. Many resources for self-teaching physics include explanations and examples of the necessary mathematical concepts. It may take a bit more effort and practice, but with determination and perseverance, anyone can learn physics.

How can I apply what I have learned while self-teaching physics?

There are many ways to apply what you have learned while self-teaching physics. You can use your knowledge to solve real-world problems, conduct experiments, or even pursue a career in a related field. Additionally, understanding the principles of physics can also help you better understand and appreciate the world around you.