Semilinear Transformation, Kernel

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that f is a semilinear transformation between vector spaces V and W, with c* being a linear functional in W. The goal is to show that the inverse image of the kernel of c* under f is equal to the kernel of the transpose of f acting on c* and that the f-preimage of a hyperplane of W is a hyperplane of V or V as a whole. It is suggested to show that f^{-1}(ker(c^\ast)) is a linear subspace of V, and it is mentioned that every linear subspace of W can be represented as an intersection of kernels of some number of linear functionals. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read more about infinite
LHeiner
Hello

I'm trying to proof the following: f is a semilinear transformation between the vectorspaces [tex]V \rightarrow W,c^\ast \in W^\ast , G:=ker \ c^\ast [/tex]. Show that [tex]f^{-1}(G)=ker(f^T(c^\ast ))[/tex] and that the f-preimage of a hyperplane of W a hyperplane of V or V as a whole is.

Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly: [tex]f^T(c^\ast ) = c^\ast \circ f[/tex]
so that: [tex]ker(f^T(c^\ast))=ker(c^\ast \circ f)[/tex]
which is all the vectors of V that are mapped by f into the kernel of c*.
Or: [tex]f^{-1}(ker(c\ast))[/tex] in other words...
for the second part, you should show that [tex]f^{-1}(ker (c\ast))[/tex] is a linear subspace of V, and then remember that every linear subspace of W can be represented as an intersection of kernels of some number of linear functionals, hence every inverse image is an intersection of some number of subspaces of V.

ilia1987 said:
If I understand correctly: [tex]f^T(c^\ast ) = c^\ast \circ f[/tex]
so that: [tex]ker(f^T(c^\ast))=ker(c^\ast \circ f)[/tex]
which is all the vectors of V that are mapped by f into the kernel of c*.
Or: [tex]f^{-1}(ker(c\ast))[/tex] in other words...
for the second part, you should show that [tex]f^{-1}(ker (c\ast))[/tex] is a linear subspace of V, and then remember that every linear subspace of W can be represented as an intersection of kernels of some number of linear functionals, hence every inverse image is an intersection of some number of subspaces of V.

thank you for your quick answer, but I'm not sure if i got it!

I mean if you say that [tex]ker(c^\ast \circ f)[/tex] are all Vectors of V that are mapped by f into the kernel of c* it is already [tex]=f^{-1}(ker(c\ast))[/tex].

And for the second party I am confused, i didn't know that every linear subspace of W can be represented as an intersection of kernels of some number of linear functionals.

[tex]ker(c^\ast \circ f) = \{v|v\in V,c^\ast (f(v))=0\} = \{v|v\in V,f(v)\in ker(c^\ast)\}[/tex] the last identity comes from the definition of kernel.

As for the second part, I'm not sure if it can be applied to any space W, but if W is finite dimensional with dimension n, then every linear functional's kernel has dimension n-1 or n, and for every n-1 dimensional subspace of W a linear functional can be found that has that subspace as its kernel (that defines that linear functional up to a multiplication by a scalar).

Try thinking of a linear functional acting on the space of nx1 column vectors as a row vector (1xn matrix), that matrix clearly has kernel>=n-1. And every matrix A nx(n-1) which is of full column rank has left kernel of dimension 1. The row vector that spans this kernel is a linear functional, the kernel of which is the column space of A. The same is true if the matrix A is nxm of full column rank, and the column space of A is the kernel of n-m linear functionals which span the left kernel of A, or, in other words, the intersection of the kernels of these n-m linear functionals.

But as for infinite dimensional linear spaces I don't have enough knowledge to give an answer. Basically each subspace of W would have to be the intersection of an infinite amount of kernels of linear functionals, and infinity tends to be strange, so you'd have to read about it yourself in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_space" .

Now, all you have to do is prove that [tex]f^{-1}(ker(c^\ast))[/tex] is a linear subspace of V and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I would be happy to help you with this proof. First, let's define some terms for clarity. A semilinear transformation is a function between two vector spaces that satisfies the following conditions:
1. f(ax) = af(x) for any scalar a and any vector x in V
2. f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) for any vectors x and y in V

A kernel is the set of all vectors in the domain of a linear transformation that map to the zero vector in the codomain. In this case, G is the kernel of the linear transformation c* from W to its dual space W*.

Now, let's prove the given statement. We want to show that f^-1(G) = ker(f^T(c*)), where f^T is the transpose of f.

First, let's take an element x in f^-1(G). This means that f(x) is in G, which means that c*(f(x)) = 0. Using the properties of linear transformations, we can rewrite this as (c* o f)(x) = 0. Since c* o f is a linear transformation, this means that x is in the kernel of this linear transformation, which is exactly what we wanted to show. Therefore, f^-1(G) is a subset of ker(f^T(c*)).

Next, let's take an element x in ker(f^T(c*)). This means that (f^T(c*) o f)(x) = 0. Using the properties of linear transformations and the transpose, we can rewrite this as (c* o f)(x) = 0. This means that f(x) is in G, so x is in f^-1(G). Therefore, ker(f^T(c*)) is a subset of f^-1(G).

Since we have shown that each set is a subset of the other, they must be equal. Thus, we have proven that f^-1(G) = ker(f^T(c*)).

Finally, let's consider the f-preimage of a hyperplane in W. A hyperplane in W is defined as the set of all vectors that satisfy the equation c*(w) = b for some fixed vector w and scalar b. The f-preimage of this hyperplane is the set of all vectors in V that map to this hyperplane under f. Using the definition of a semilinear transformation

1. What is a semilinear transformation?

A semilinear transformation is a mathematical function that combines both linear and nonlinear elements. It is typically represented by a matrix and can be used to transform data in various applications, such as signal processing and image recognition.

2. How is a semilinear transformation different from a linear transformation?

A linear transformation only involves linear elements, while a semilinear transformation includes both linear and nonlinear elements. This means that a semilinear transformation can produce more complex and varied results compared to a linear transformation.

3. What is the role of the kernel in a semilinear transformation?

The kernel in a semilinear transformation is a subset of the input data that is used to perform the transformation. It is a key component in the calculation process and can greatly affect the final result. Different kernels can be used for different purposes.

4. How is a semilinear transformation used in machine learning?

Semilinear transformations are commonly used in machine learning algorithms, specifically in kernel methods. These methods use the kernel of a semilinear transformation to map data into a higher-dimensional space, where it can be more easily separated and classified.

5. Can a semilinear transformation be inverted?

In general, a semilinear transformation is not invertible. This is because the nonlinear elements of the transformation make it difficult to find a unique inverse function. However, some special cases of semilinear transformations may have an inverse that can be calculated.