Semipermeable membrane for gases?

In summary, the question is whether there is a semipermeable membrane that can diffuse gas but not liquid. It is unlikely that a single membrane can be permeable to any liquid and impermeable to every gas. Gas and liquid are phases that are not noticeable on the molecular level. The goal is to find a membrane and gas that can be easily obtained and tested at home. Chlorine gas is suggested but it is extremely dangerous and toxic, so it is not recommended.
hubber26
Is there any kind of semipermeable membrane which would diffuse gas but wouldn't let liquid to pass. If yes what would that be?

Thanks, Vladimir.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For any liquid and any gas? Probably not.

For a specific pair? Perhaps.

What about Goretex?

Borek said:
What about Goretex?

Yes, somebody had also suggested that to me.

Also it can be for specific gas/liquid (which ever).

But what about pressure.. would gas diffuse if on another side is liquid with slightly higher pressure? (like water does)

alxm said:
For any liquid and any gas? Probably not.(snip)

Absolutely. Everything is permeable in everything else. What permeation rates are you wanting to see?

hubber26 said:
(snip) But what about pressure.. would gas diffuse if on another side is liquid with slightly higher pressure? (like water does)

Mass transport always proceeds from regions of high chemical potential for a species to regions of low chemical potential; it ceases when activities of all species are equal on both sides of the "membrane." Differences in permeation rates for various species allow the opportunity to run "horse races" and achieve separations of mixtures/solutions; run the the race long enough and every horse crosses the finish line.

How long a race (how thick a membrane), and among what species (cheetahs, snails) are you wanting to run?

Gas/membrane pairs? O2/Cu, He/SiO2, H2/Pd(any metal, really), and the gases are all soluble in any liquid you care to select.

Bystander said:
Absolutely. Everything is permeable in everything else. What permeation rates are you wanting to see?

Well what I was trying to say that you can't possibly (in my mind) create something that's essentially permeable to any and every liquid and essentially impermeable to every gas. Or vice versa.

After all, 'gas' and 'liquid' are phases, which isn't a property that's very noticeable on the level of individual molecules. It's not like a single molecule of H2 in water is going to hold up a sign saying "Hi, I'm a gas!"

permeation rate - the higher the better

However, I want to try this at home, so it shoud be simple.
The gas really doesn't matter as long as its not He or H. It would be good that its colored gas. My first thought was Cl2 made at home from electrolysis of NaCl dissolved in H2O. All in all I want to be able to make/find gas and membrabe at home and to test it. It would be good to have higher permeation rate , but nothing fancy. Any suggestions?

hubber26 said:
permeation rate - the higher the better

The gas really doesn't matter as long as its not He or H. It would be good that its colored gas. My first thought was Cl2 made at home from electrolysis of NaCl dissolved in H2O.

Are you insane?
You do not, I repeat not want to mess around with chlorine gas at home. That stuff is extremely dangerous, toxic and corrosive. You do not mess around with chlorine under a fume hood even, if you can avoid it. (and even then you'd still pass any excess gas through some neutralizing solution)

The other halide gases aren't very nice either. I'd suggest forgetting about using colored gases. There aren't very many of them, especially once you rule out the dangerous ones.

1. What is a semipermeable membrane for gases?

A semipermeable membrane for gases is a thin barrier that allows certain gases to pass through while blocking others based on their size, solubility, and polarity.

2. How does a semipermeable membrane for gases work?

A semipermeable membrane for gases works through a process called diffusion, where gases move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration until equilibrium is reached.

3. What are some examples of gases that can pass through a semipermeable membrane?

Some examples of gases that can pass through a semipermeable membrane include oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen. These gases are small enough to pass through the pores of the membrane.

4. Can a semipermeable membrane be used to separate different gases from a mixture?

Yes, a semipermeable membrane can be used to separate different gases from a mixture. This process is called gas separation or gas permeation and is used in various industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and natural gas processing.

5. How is a semipermeable membrane for gases different from a regular membrane?

A semipermeable membrane for gases is specifically designed to allow only certain gases to pass through, while a regular membrane may allow both gases and liquids to pass through. A semipermeable membrane also has smaller pores compared to a regular membrane, which allows for more selective gas separation.