Send dismal PGRE scores to mechanical engineering programs?

In summary, the speaker has a background in physics with a minor in math, a high overall GPA and good letters of recommendation. They also have extensive research experience at a renowned private research company. However, they recently scored low on a practice Physics GRE and are unsure if they should still apply to graduate programs in physics or if they should switch to mechanical engineering. They are worried that their low GRE score may hurt their chances of getting into a good program.
pablo4429
So a little background,
physics major/math minor
3.81 overall GPA, 3.65 physics
4 good letters of rec
combined 4.5 yrs research with 3+ at a good internship with a very renowned government funded private research company in southern California, don't want to name names

However, I just took the practice PGREs and score a 590 which is embarrassingly low. I was already thinking about applying to mechanical engineering phd program and was going to send my GRE scores along with my applications but I am wondering, assuming I don't gain 250 points overnight would sending them help or hurt if I don't do so well?? I was also going to apply to some applied physics places, but with those kinds of PGRE scores I can't see where I could get in. Am I screwed for physics grad school now if I choose to go that route?

thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org
You should work to bring your Physics GRE score up. Most places require them for a higher-level Physics degree.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your situation, but why are you sending your Physics GRE scores along with applications to a mechanical engineering graduate program?

Related to Send dismal PGRE scores to mechanical engineering programs?

1. What is the PGRE?

The PGRE stands for the Physics Graduate Record Examination. It is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of physics, and is often required for admission into graduate programs in physics and related fields.

2. Why do mechanical engineering programs require PGRE scores?

Mechanical engineering programs may require PGRE scores because they often involve a significant amount of physics coursework and research, and the PGRE provides a way to assess a student's physics background and potential for success in the program.

3. What is considered a "dismal" PGRE score?

This can vary depending on the specific program and its competitiveness, but generally a score below the 50th percentile (around 500 out of 990) may be considered low. However, it is important to note that PGRE scores are not the only factor considered in graduate admissions and a low score does not necessarily disqualify a student from being accepted.

4. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE. However, keep in mind that some programs may only consider your highest score, while others may average multiple scores. It is important to research the policies of the programs you are interested in before deciding to retake the exam.

5. How can I improve my PGRE score?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the PGRE, such as study guides, practice exams, and tutoring services. It is also important to review and strengthen your understanding of key physics concepts and to practice solving problems under timed conditions. Additionally, taking higher level physics courses or gaining research experience in physics may also improve your score.