Separable Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation y' = (x)/(1+2y) and the mistake of subtracting 1 from both sides. The correct method is to keep the 1+2y term on the left side when isolating dy/dx. The incorrect method results in a different equation and therefore an incorrect solution.
MathWarrior
y' = (x)/(1+2y)

y(-1) = 0

trying to find the answer I do the following:

multiply both sides by (1+2y)
(1+2y) * dy/dx = x

i subtract 1 from both sides.. but for some reason this is wrong? why?

2y * dy/dx = x - 1

2y dy = x-1 dx

integrate..

y^2 = (x^2-x+C)/2

y = sqrt((x^2-x+C)/2) )

this however is wrong I was not suppose to subtract the 1 from both sides.. what exactly is wrong with doing that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

MathWarrior said:
y' = (x)/(1+2y)

y(-1) = 0

trying to find the answer I do the following:

multiply both sides by (1+2y)
(1+2y) * dy/dx = x

i subtract 1 from both sides.. but for some reason this is wrong? why?
If you subtract 1 from both sides it will be (1+2y) * dy/dx-1 = x-1.

(1+2y) * dy/dx = x is not the same as 2y * dy/dx = x - 1 as both 1 and 2y is multiplied by dy/dx in the original equation.

ehild

ehild said:
If you subtract 1 from both sides it will be (1+2y) * dy/dx-1 = x-1

even if its multiplied by it like that is?

I mean I am seeing it in my mind sort of like

1+5a = b
in which I would think to solve such an algebraic equation it would be more like

-1 on both sides
5a=b-1 ?

Do you know what are parentheses for? I just wonder how you subtract 2 from (2+5)10.

ehild

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation in which the variables can be separated into two distinct functions that can be solved independently.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you must first separate the variables and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in a general solution that can be further simplified by applying any initial conditions or boundary conditions.

3. What is the importance of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are important in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena by describing the relationship between changing variables.

4. Can all differential equations be solved by separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved by separation of variables. Only a specific type of differential equation known as a separable differential equation can be solved using this method. Other types of differential equations require different techniques for solving.

5. How can separable differential equations be applied in real-life situations?

Separable differential equations can be applied in many real-life situations, such as modeling population growth, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, or analyzing the behavior of chemical reactions. They are also used in various fields of engineering to model and optimize systems.