Solving Partial Differential Equations Using Separation of Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses applying separation of variables to solve differential equations. Product solutions are found for the equations, with the exception of (b) where it is stated that there may not be a solution. The process of finding product solutions involves setting up the equations as a product of two functions, solving for each function separately, and then combining them to form the overall solution. In the case of (e), the solution is a combination of the homogeneous solution found in (d) and a polynomial of degree 1.
SqueeSpleen
I'm having troubles with PDE.

Apply separation of variables, if possible, to found product solutions to the following differential equations.

a)
[itex]x\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=y\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex]
I suppose that:
[itex]u=X(x) \cdot Y(y)[/itex]
Then:
[itex]xX'Y=yXY'[/itex]
[itex]xX'/X=yY'/Y[/itex]
So [itex]xX'/X=yY'/Y=c[/itex] because they can't be in function of x or y.

[itex]X'/X=c/x=ln(X(x))'[/itex]
We integrate both sides and then ln(X(x))=c ln(x)
Then [itex]X(x)=cx[/itex]
And [itex]Y(y)=cy[/itex]

b)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial xy}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=0[/itex]
Using the same procedure:
[itex]u=X(x) \cdot Y(y)[/itex]

[itex]X''Y+X'Y'+XY''=0[/itex]
?
Edit: I can't solve the exercise b), and I'm not sure if the other ones were solved.

c)
[itex]k \cdot \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}-u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex] and [itex]k>0[/itex]
(I changed the t for y because I'm used to)
[itex]kX''Y-XY=XY'[/itex]
[itex]k\frac{X''}{X}=\frac{Y'}{Y}+1[/itex]
[itex]Y=e^{c_1 y}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X''}{X}=\frac{c_1}{k}+\frac{1}{k}[/itex]
If [itex]c_t=\frac{c_1}{k}+\frac{1}{k}>0[/itex] then [itex]X=c_1 e^{\sqrt{c_t}x} + c_2 e^{-\sqrt{c_t}x}[/itex], if it's equal to zero then it's a polynomial of degree 1, and if it's lesser than zero then it's a linear combination of sins and cosines:
[itex]X=c_1 cos(\sqrt{c_t}x) +c_2 sin(\sqrt{c_t}x)[/itex]

d)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=0[/itex]

[itex]X''Y+XY''=0[/itex]
[itex]X''/X=-Y''/Y=c[/itex]
[itex]X''=cX[/itex]
[itex]X''-cX=0[/itex]
If c=0 then [itex]X=c_1 + c_2x[/itex] and [itex]Y=c_3 + c_4y[/itex]
If c>0 then [itex]X=c_1 \cdot e^{-\sqrt{c}x} +c_2 \cdot e^{\sqrt{c}x}[/itex]
and [itex]Y=c_3 \cdot cos(\sqrt{c}y)+c_4 \cdot sin(\sqrt{c}y)[/itex]
And [itex]c(c_1+c_2)=c[/itex]
[itex]c_1+c_2=1[/itex]
And [itex]c_3+c_4=1[/itex]
So we could use only 2 constants (I don't know why I got 4 in c=0) ... Can I have up to 4 constants if I have 2 independent variables with their maximum derivative of degree 2?
If c<0 it's the same than the previous case but X and Y swap their places.

e)
[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=u[/itex]
I guess the solution here is the homogeneous solution of d) plus:
[itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}(x+y)}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SqueeSpleen said:
[itex]X'/X=c/x=ln(X(x))'[/itex]
We integrate both sides and then ln(X(x))=c ln(x)
Don't forget the constant of integration.
Then [itex]X(x)=cx[/itex]
Have another think about that step.

I'm sometimes play lazy with the constants names, I guess [itex]e^c[/itex] is my new constant is the thing you're speaking of.

SqueeSpleen said:
I'm sometimes play lazy with the constants names, I guess [itex]e^c[/itex] is my new constant is the thing you're speaking of.
No, there are two separate issues. The constant of integration is not related to c, which is a constant you were given. The step I suggested you have another think about is plain wrong, regardless of any constant of integration.

I don't really understand. I'll give it another try. Sorry if I was a little rude and didn't thought very much your advice the previous time, I really thought I did right the first exercise.
[itex]ln(X(x))=c ln(x) +c_1[/itex]
If I put a [itex]c_1[/itex] here, then:
[itex]X(x)=c_1 x^{c}[/itex]
[itex]x \frac{X'}{X}=c[/itex]
And
[itex]Y(x)=c_2 y^{c}[/itex]
This is right?

Last edited:
I don't have much idea what I'm doing here.
[itex]X''Y+X′Y′+XY′′[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X''Y}{X'Y'}+1+\frac{XY′′}{X'Y'}[/itex]
Then
[itex]\frac{X''Y}{X'Y'}+\frac{XY′′}{X'Y'}=-1[/itex]
Let's try exponential solutions for both sides. Then we have 1/c+c=-1
[itex]c^2+c+1=0[/itex]
[itex]k_1=\frac{1 - \sqrt{-3}}{2}[/itex] [itex]k_2=\frac{1 + \sqrt{-3}}{2}[/itex]
Then if X and Y are both exponentials:
[itex]c_1/c_2=c[/itex]
Now I guess I got
[itex]X=e^{c1x}[/itex]
[itex]Y=e^{\frac{k_2}{c1} y}[/itex]
And I think it works, I got 1/c[itex]\frac{X''Y}{X'Y'}+\frac{XY′′}{X'Y'}=1/k_1+k_1[/itex] and I know this is -1. This solution work.
But I'm not sure what can happen if I add it to:
[itex]X=e^{c1x}[/itex]
[itex]Y=e^{\frac{k_2}{c1} y}[/itex]
I guess I'll try to found a solution to this in a book.

SqueeSpleen said:
[itex]x \frac{X'}{X}=c[/itex]
And
[itex]Y(x)=c_2 y^{c}[/itex]
This is right?
Yes. The question actually asks for product solutions, so maybe put the answer as ##c_1(xy)^c##.

For (b), I don't see how to solve it as a product either. It does say "if possible".
(c) looks right.
In (d), for c=0 you didn't really get four constants of integration. When you write out u, there's a redundant one.
Anyway, don't expect to get the same number of arbitrary constants in each case. Remember that the full solution would be a sum of these product solutions, so the actual number of arbitrary constants is unlimited. (In practice, would be determined by boundary conditions.)

Your answer for (e) is wrong. You are to find a single expression of the form XY, so it's not a matter of adding in an inhomogeneous term. Work it exactly as you did in (d).

Likes 1 person
[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=u[/itex]

[itex]X''Y+XY''=XY[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X''}{X}+\frac{Y''}{Y}=1[/itex]
[itex]\frac{X''}{X}=k_1[/itex] --- [itex]\frac{Y''}{Y}=k_2[/itex] --- [itex]k_1+k_2=1[/itex] (How can I put more than one space here? I used the white --- to make it.)
If [itex]k_1 <0[/itex] then
[itex]X=c_1 e^{\sqrt{k_1} x}+c_2 e^{-\sqrt{k_1} x}[/itex] and [itex]Y=c_3 cos(\sqrt{k_2}y)+c_4 sin(\sqrt{k_2}y)[/itex]
Then the solution is the product of both.
If [itex]k_1 >1[/itex] then x and y swap their places.
If [itex]0 < k_1 < 1[/itex] (*) then:
[itex]X=c_1 e^{\sqrt{k_1} x}+c_2 e^{-\sqrt{k_1} x}[/itex] and
[itex]Y=c_3 e^{\sqrt{k_2} y}+c_4 e^{-\sqrt{k_2} y}[/itex]
If [itex]k_1=0[/itex] then Y is the same as (*) and X is a polynomial of degree 1.
If [itex]k_1=1[/itex] then X is the same as (*) and Y is a polynomial of degree 1.In b) the only solution I found is the almost trivial [itex]U(x,y)=(x+c_1)(y+c_2)[/itex]

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
In b) the only solution I found is the almost trivial [itex]U(x,y)=(x+c_1)(y+c_2)[/itex]
I don't think that is a solution. Do you mean ax+by+c?
You can easily generate others by trying expressions like ax3+bx2y+cxy2+dy3. Some fairly simple constraints on the constants make it a solution. But these cannot be of the form X(x)Y(y).

Yes, you're right, it's not a solution because [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial xy}u=1[/itex].
I'll guess if I want to know more I'll have to take a course of PDE (this homework was of a general course of DE with only have 2 weeks to PDEs).

1. What is Separation of Variables PDE?

Separation of Variables PDE is a method used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by separating the variables in the equation into simpler single-variable equations.

2. How does Separation of Variables PDE work?

The method involves assuming a solution to the PDE in the form of a product of functions of individual variables, and then substituting this into the original equation. This separates the equation into simpler equations that can be solved individually.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using Separation of Variables?

Separation of Variables PDE can be used to solve linear homogeneous PDEs with constant coefficients, such as the heat, wave, and Laplace equations.

4. What are the steps involved in using Separation of Variables PDE?

The steps involved include: 1) Assuming a solution in the form of a product of functions, 2) Substituting the solution into the PDE, 3) Separating the equation into simpler equations, 4) Solving each equation separately, and 5) Combining the solutions to form the final solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using Separation of Variables PDE?

Yes, Separation of Variables PDE can only be used for certain types of PDEs and may not always yield a solution. Some PDEs may require other methods such as the method of characteristics or numerical methods for solving.