Modeling Population Growth Using Separation of Variables

In summary, the conversation involves manipulating the equation \frac{dN}{dt} = rN\left(1-\frac{N}{K}\right) to solve for N(t). Using integration and partial fraction decomposition, the solution is found to be N(t) =\frac{C_0Ke^{rt}}{K+C_0(e^{rt}-1)}. By substituting the initial condition N(0)=N_0, the final form is obtained as N(t)=\frac{KN_0e^{rt}}{K+N_0(e^{rt}-1)}.
Dustinsfl
[tex]\displaystyle\frac{dN}{dt} = rN\left(1-\frac{N}{K}\right)[/tex][tex]\displaystyle\int\frac{KdN}{N\left(K-N\right)} = \int rdt[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle K\int\frac{dN}{N}-K\int\frac{dN}{K-N}=r\int dt[/tex]

Now, I obtain:

[tex]K\ln\left(\frac{N}{K-N}\right) = rt+c[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{N}{K-N}\right)^K=C_0r^{rt}[/tex]

The final solution is [tex]N(t) =\frac{C_0Ke^{rt}}{K+C_0(e^{rt}-1)}[/tex]

I don't see how I can manipulate my equation to that. Is there a mistake or am I not seeing something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On the left side, you seem to have changed [itex]\frac{K}{N (K-N)}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{K}{N} - \frac{K}{K-N}[/itex]. That's not right at all.

Dick said:
On the left side, you seem to have changed [itex]\frac{K}{N (K-N)}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{K}{N} - \frac{K}{K-N}[/itex]. That's not right at all.

It should be [tex]\frac{N}{K-N} = C_0e^{rt}[/tex]

Correct?

Dustinsfl said:

Correct?

You didn't do partial fractions correctly the first time. That looks like a step in the right direction, yes.

Dick said:
You didn't do partial fractions correctly the first time. That looks like a step in the right direction, yes.

There is still something wrong...

From that, I end up with:

[tex]N = KC_0e^{rt}-NC_0e^{rt} \Rightarrow N(t)=\frac{KC_0e^{rt}}{1+C_0e^{rt}}[/tex]

I have a sign issue and I am missing a K.

Dustinsfl said:
[tex]\displaystyle\frac{dN}{dt} = rN\left(1-\frac{N}{K}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int\frac{KdN}{N\left(K-N\right)} = \int rdt[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle K\int\frac{dN}{N}-K\int\frac{dN}{K-N}=r\int dt[/tex]

Now, I obtain:

[tex]K\ln\left(\frac{N}{K-N}\right) = rt+c[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{N}{K-N}\right)^K=C_0r^{rt}[/tex]

The final solution is [tex]N(t) =\frac{C_0Ke^{rt}}{K+N_0(e^{rt}-1)}[/tex]

I don't see how I can manipulate my equation to that. Is there a mistake or am I not seeing something.
It's not true that
[itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{KdN}{N\left(K-N\right)} =K\int\frac{dN}{N}-K\int\frac{dN}{K-N}[/itex]​
You cannot break up an integral that way.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{N}+\frac{1}{K-N}\ne\frac{1}{N(K-N)}\,,[/itex]

However, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{K}\left(\frac{1}{N}+\frac{1}{K-N}\right)=\frac{1}{N(K-N)}\,,[/itex] which is a result that can be obtained using partial fraction decomposition.

SammyS said:
It's not true that
[itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{KdN}{N\left(K-N\right)} =K\int\frac{dN}{N}-K\int\frac{dN}{K-N}[/itex]​
You cannot break up an integral that way.

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{N}+\frac{1}{K-N}\ne\frac{1}{N(K-N)}\,,[/itex]

However, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{K}\left(\frac{1}{N}+\frac{1}{K-N}\right)=\frac{1}{N(K-N)}\,,[/itex] which is a result that can be obtained using partial fraction decomposition.

I know, I have fixed that part.

Dustinsfl said:

But I can't figure out how to manipulate that into

[tex]N(t)=\frac{N_0Ke^{rt}}{K+N_0(e^{rt}-1)}[/tex]

I forgot to mention that [tex]N(0)=N_0[/tex]

Use the form you derived before.
[tex]N(t)=\frac{KC_0e^{rt}}{1+C_0e^{rt}}[/tex].
That tells you
[tex]N_0=\frac{KC_0}{1+C_0}[/tex]
That's the relation between the two constants in the two different forms.

Dick said:
Use the form you derived before.
[tex]N(t)=\frac{KC_0e^{rt}}{1+C_0e^{rt}}[/tex].
That tells you
[tex]N_0=\frac{KC_0}{1+C_0}[/tex]
That's the relation between the two constants in the two different forms.

I have all that, but I still can't get to the final form. I tried solving for C but that didn't go anywhere fruitful.

Dustinsfl said:
I have all that, but I still can't get to the final form. I tried solving for C but that didn't go anywhere fruitful.

You seem to have exactly the right idea of what to do. Solve for C_0 in terms of N_0 and substitute that back into N(t). It works for me. If it doesn't go anywhere fruitful for you can you show why not?

Dick said:
You seem to have exactly the right idea of what to do. Solve for C_0 in terms of N_0 and substitute that back into N(t). It works for me. If it doesn't go anywhere fruitful for you can you show why not?

Just to verify, this what you get when you substitute correct?

[tex]\displaystyle N(t)=\frac{K\left(\frac{N_0}{K-N_0}\right)e^{rt}}{1+\left(\frac{N_0}{K-N_0}\right)e^{rt}}[/tex]

Dustinsfl said:
Just to verify, this what you get when you substitute correct?

[tex]\displaystyle N(t)=\frac{K\left(\frac{N_0}{K-N_0}\right)e^{rt}}{1+\left(\frac{N_0}{K-N_0}\right)e^{rt}}[/tex]

Sure. Continue.

Dick said:
Sure. Continue.

I got it. I don't know what the problem was earlier.

Thanks.

Related to Modeling Population Growth Using Separation of Variables

What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical method used to solve certain types of differential equations. It involves separating a multi-variable equation into simpler single-variable equations, which can then be solved individually.

What types of differential equations can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables is typically used to solve linear, homogeneous partial differential equations with constant coefficients. It is also commonly used for separable ordinary differential equations.

How does separation of variables work?

The process of separation of variables involves isolating each variable on one side of the equation and setting it equal to a constant. These constants are then used to solve the simpler single-variable equations, and the solutions are combined to find the general solution to the original equation.

What are the advantages of using separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a relatively simple and straightforward method for solving certain types of differential equations. It also allows for the use of known techniques and formulas for solving single-variable equations, making it a useful tool in mathematical analysis and modeling.

Are there any limitations to using separation of variables?

While separation of variables is a powerful method for solving certain types of differential equations, it is not applicable to all equations. It is limited to linear, homogeneous equations with constant coefficients and may not work for more complex equations or systems of equations.