Seperate variable and integration

In summary, you should substitute the LHS of the equation and you will get the same result as it is circled in your last post #3.
delsoo

Homework Statement

for this Q and t are variables, 10 and surd k are constant, is my working correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0138~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0138~2[1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
No.

##\frac{\sqrt{K}}{10+(4-\sqrt{K})t}## is NOT the same as ##\frac{\sqrt{K}}{10+(4-\sqrt{K})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}##

You should think about substitution.

i don't understand the circled part, can you expalin?

Attachments

• DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 408
Well somebody integrated LHS and RHS of the equation, nothing more.

LHS of the equation is of course ##\int \frac{dQ}{Q}=ln(Q) + C##, which you already found out. Now you have to integrate the RHS of the equation and you should get exactly the same as it is circled in your last post #3.

In your original post you already tried to compute the integral on the RHS

##-\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}dt##

but your approach is wrong because you wrote that ##\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}## which is NOT true. If anything than ##\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{\frac{10}{t}+(4-\sqrt{k})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}## but this does not simplify the integral at all.

Again: you should consider substitution. Note that ##\int \frac{dx}{x}## is an elementary integral. Try to find such substitution that will bring you to this elementary integral.

well, why the following steps contain (10+(4-surd k) t) /10 ... why we should divide 10?

Firstly, I never wrote that you should divide (10+(4-surd k) t) by 10.

Remember that ##\frac{a}{b}\cdot \frac{c}{d}=\frac{a\cdot c}{b\cdot d}##.

Also take a look at ##\frac{1}{a}\cdot \frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a\cdot b}## and ##\frac{1}{a+b}\cdot \frac{1}{c}=\frac{1}{(a+b)\cdot c}=\frac{1}{a\cdot c+b\cdot c}##.

Now I hope you understand a bit more.

please refer fifth post to the post 3 . thanks.

delsoo said:
well, why the following steps contain (10+(4-surd k) t) /10 ... why we should divide 10?

Ok, I apologize, I didn't know that we are no longer talking about the circled part. Anyhow, I hope you understand how ton integrate ##-\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}dt##

Now to answer your last question:

##aln(x)=ln(x^a)## also

##ln(x)-ln(y)=ln(\frac{x}{y})##

Note that you RHS integral goes from ##0## to ##t##. Understood?

ok! clear now!

What is the concept of separating variables in integration?

Separating variables in integration is a technique used to solve differential equations where the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated onto opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the integration of each variable separately.

Why is separating variables important in scientific applications?

Separating variables is important in scientific applications because it allows for the solution of complex differential equations that arise in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also provides a way to analyze and understand the relationship between variables in a system.

What are the steps for separating variables in integration?

The steps for separating variables in integration are as follows: 1) Identify the dependent and independent variables in the differential equation, 2) Move all terms containing the dependent variable to one side of the equation, 3) Move all terms containing the independent variable to the other side of the equation, 4) Integrate each side of the equation with respect to its respective variable, and 5) Solve for the constant of integration and simplify the solution.

What is the difference between separating variables and integrating both sides of an equation?

Separating variables and integrating both sides of an equation are two different techniques used to solve differential equations. Separating variables involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation before integrating, while integrating both sides of an equation involves integrating the entire equation as one unit.

Can separating variables be used for any type of differential equation?

No, separating variables can only be used for first-order differential equations that are separable, meaning the dependent and independent variables can be separated onto opposite sides of the equation. It is not applicable for higher-order differential equations or equations that cannot be separated.