1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seperate variable and integration

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for this Q and t are variables, 10 and surd k are constant, is my working correct?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2
    No.

##\frac{\sqrt{K}}{10+(4-\sqrt{K})t}## is NOT the same as ##\frac{\sqrt{K}}{10+(4-\sqrt{K})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}##

You should think about substitution.

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    i dont understand the circled part, can you expalin?

Attached Files:

5. May 1, 2014 #4
    Well somebody integrated LHS and RHS of the equation, nothing more.

LHS of the equation is of course ##\int \frac{dQ}{Q}=ln(Q) + C##, which you already found out. Now you have to integrate the RHS of the equation and you should get exactly the same as it is circled in your last post #3.

In your original post you already tried to compute the integral on the RHS

##-\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}dt##

but your approach is wrong because you wrote that ##\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}## which is NOT true. If anything than ##\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{\frac{10}{t}+(4-\sqrt{k})}\cdot \frac{1}{t}## but this does not simplify the integral at all.

Again: you should consider substitution. Note that ##\int \frac{dx}{x}## is an elementary integral. Try to find such substitution that will bring you to this elementary integral.

6. May 2, 2014 #5
    well, why the following steps contain (10+(4-surd k) t) /10 ... why we should divide 10?

7. May 2, 2014 #6
    Firstly, I never wrote that you should divide (10+(4-surd k) t) by 10.

Remember that ##\frac{a}{b}\cdot \frac{c}{d}=\frac{a\cdot c}{b\cdot d}##.

Also take a look at ##\frac{1}{a}\cdot \frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a\cdot b}## and ##\frac{1}{a+b}\cdot \frac{1}{c}=\frac{1}{(a+b)\cdot c}=\frac{1}{a\cdot c+b\cdot c}##.

Now I hope you understand a bit more.

8. May 2, 2014 #7
    please refer fifth post to the post 3 . thanks.

9. May 2, 2014 #8
    Ok, I apologize, I didn't know that we are no longer talking about the circled part. Anyhow, I hope you understand how ton integrate ##-\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\sqrt{k}}{10+(4-\sqrt{k})t}dt##

Now to answer your last question:

##aln(x)=ln(x^a)## also

##ln(x)-ln(y)=ln(\frac{x}{y})##

Note that you RHS integral goes from ##0## to ##t##. Understood?

10. May 2, 2014 #9
    ok! clear now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted