Proving Cube Numbers Not in Sequence a_n=3n+2

In summary, the sequence given is 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, ... and it can be represented by the general term a_n = 3n + 2. It is now asked to prove that the cube of any number in the sequence is also in the sequence. By expanding (3n+2)^3, it can be shown that the cube of any number in the sequence is indeed in the sequence. However, it is also asked to show which cube numbers are not in the sequence. It can be observed that 3n and 3n+1 are not in the sequence, proving that not all cube numbers are in the sequence.
Natasha1
Right here is my sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, ...

I have been asked to prove that the cube of any number in the sequence is in the sequence.

my answer:

General term: a_n=3n+2

We need to cube a_n and see if it matches a number in the series i.e. (a_n)^3 = 3q+2 for some integer q.

(a_n)^3
=27n^3 + 54n^2 + 36n + 8
=3(9n^3 + 18n^2 + 12n + 2) +2
=3k+2

If this is a member of the series, then 3q+2 = 3k+2 for some integer q.

Solving for q:

q = k which is always in the sequence.

So the cube of any number is in this sequence.

But now I'm asked to show which cube numbers (therefore not in the sequence, I think :confused: ) are not in the sequence and to prove it?

A little confused how to do this one could anyone help please :-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your expansion of (3n+2)^3

(3n+2)^3 = (3n)^3 + 3.(3n)^2.2 + 3.(3n).2^2 + 2^3
(3n+2)^3 = 27n^3 + 54N^2 + 36n + 8

Fermat said:
Check your expansion of (3n+2)^3

(3n+2)^3 = (3n)^3 + 3.(3n)^2.2 + 3.(3n).2^2 + 2^3
(3n+2)^3 = 27n^3 + 54N^2 + 36n + 8

oops thanks ever so much!

Last edited:
Can anyone see through this one? :bugeye:

Last edited:
Your sequence is a_n = 3n + 2

ergo 3n and 3n+1 are not in the sequence.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Fermat said:
Your sequence is a_n = 3n + 2

ergo 3n and 3n+1 are not in the sequence.

Does that help?

well spotted! merci!

c'est rien!

Related to Proving Cube Numbers Not in Sequence a_n=3n+2

1. How do you prove that cube numbers are not in sequence?

To prove that cube numbers are not in sequence, we can use a counterexample. A counterexample is a specific example that contradicts a statement. In this case, we can find three cube numbers that are not in sequence, such as 1, 27, and 64. These numbers do not follow the pattern of a_n = 3n + 2, as 27 is not 2 more than 3 times 1 and 64 is not 2 more than 3 times 27.

2. What is the formula for cube numbers?

The formula for cube numbers is a_n = n^3, where n represents the position of the number in the sequence. For example, the first cube number would be a_1 = 1^3 = 1, the second would be a_2 = 2^3 = 8, and so on.

3. Can you provide an example of a cube number that follows the sequence a_n = 3n + 2?

Yes, an example of a cube number that follows the sequence a_n = 3n + 2 is 29. To find this number, we can plug in n = 9 into the formula, as 29 is the 9th cube number. This gives us a_9 = 3(9) + 2 = 29.

4. How is the formula a_n = 3n + 2 related to cube numbers?

The formula a_n = 3n + 2 is not directly related to cube numbers. It is simply a pattern that some numbers may follow, but it does not apply to all cube numbers. It is important to remember that not all numbers follow a specific pattern or formula.

5. Is there a general rule for determining if a sequence is in a specific pattern or not?

No, there is not a general rule for determining if a sequence is in a specific pattern or not. Each sequence must be analyzed individually to determine if it follows a pattern or if it is a random sequence of numbers. It is important to use evidence and logical reasoning to support any claims about a sequence.