Proving the Convergence of a Sequence Using Riemann Sums

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the sequence (Vn) defined by Vn= 1/n+1 +...+1/2n from 2n to p=n+1∑1/p satisfies the inequalities ln2-1/2n ≤ Vn ≤ ln2. It is suggested to use Riemann sums to approximate the area underneath 1/t and overestimate the integral to understand how the inequalities work. The person in the conversation is not familiar with Riemann sums but thanks the other person for their help.
chicky
show that 1/n+1 +1/n+2 +...1/2n≤from 2n to n∫dt/t≤1/n+...1/2n-1

consider the sequene (Vn) defined by:
Vn= 1/n+1 +...+1/2n=from 2n to p=n+1∑1/p
deduce from above that ln2-1/2n≤ Vn≤ln2

i didnt find any thing

Physics news on Phys.org
chicky said:
show that 1/n+1 +1/n+2 +...1/2n≤from 2n to n∫dt/t≤1/n+...1/2n-1
Are you saying "Show that
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}+ \frac{1}{n+2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n}\le \int_{2n}^n\int \frac{dt}{t}\le \frac{1}{n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n-1}[/itex]

Looks to me like the integral in the middle will be negative: [itex]\int_{2n}^n dt/t= ln(n)- ln(2n)= ln(n/2n)= ln(1/2)= -ln(2)= -0.693147[/itex] and that can't possibly statisfy the sums you give.

consider the sequene (Vn) defined by:
Vn= 1/n+1 +...+1/2n=from 2n to p=n+1∑1/p
deduce from above that ln2-1/2n≤ Vn≤ln2

i didnt find any thing

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}+ \frac{1}{n+2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n}\le \int_{2n}^n\frac{dt}{t}\le \frac{1}{n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n-1}[/tex]
its like this
not two integrals its one integral

Chicky, by what you want to deduce it looks like you have your bounds of integration backwards

[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}+ \frac{1}{n+2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n}\le \int_{2n}^n\frac{dt}{t}\le \frac{1}{n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{2n-1}[/tex]
we must show this not deduce it

Your inequalities aren't true, so you can't "show" this. What Kreizhn is trying to say that you may have your limits of integration in the wrong order (by switching them, the inequalities are then true). Anyway, here's what you should try: consider approximating the area underneath 1/t using n rectangles of width 1 (i.e. all rectangles have their upper right corners on 1/t). Then try approximating the integral by overestimating -- use n rectangles of width 1 but with their upper left corners on 1/t. If you graph 1/t and draw out the rectangles and compute their area, it will be fairly obvious how the inequalities work.

am sorry the limit are in the wrong order but the inequality is true am sure

Let me clarify. What I meant was: with the incorrect order (limits of integration) the inequalities would (obviously) not be true.

Did you try my hint? This is just an exercise in Riemann sums.

i just don't know it
thanks any ways

You don't know what a Riemann sum is? Or do you mean you just don't want to try what has been suggested?

1. What is a sequence integral?

A sequence integral is a mathematical concept used to find the total area under a curve, similar to a regular integral. However, instead of integrating over a continuous function, a sequence integral is used to find the area under a discrete sequence of points.

2. How is a sequence integral calculated?

A sequence integral is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each point's x-coordinate and the difference between the next point's y-coordinate and the previous point's y-coordinate. This process is repeated for all points in the sequence.

3. What is the purpose of a sequence integral?

A sequence integral is useful in finding the total area under a discrete curve, which can be used in various applications such as finding the average value of a sequence or approximating the value of a definite integral.

4. What are some common applications of sequence integrals?

Sequence integrals are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to find the total area under a discrete curve. They can also be used in data analysis to find the average value of a sequence or to approximate the area under a continuous curve.

5. What are some common challenges when working with sequence integrals?

One challenge when working with sequence integrals is determining the appropriate sequence to use, as there can be multiple ways to represent a given curve. Another challenge is calculating the sequence integral accurately, as it involves a series of calculations that can be prone to errors.