Series and parallel R-L-C turned circuits

In summary, the problem involves a parallel circuit with an inductor of 0.20 H and a resistor of 60 ohms, connected in parallel with a 20 μF capacitor. The task is to determine the resonant frequency, dynamic resistance, current resonance, and Q-factor at resonance. The formula for resonant frequency is fr = 1/2π√(LC), but for practical circuits with non-zero resistance, it is only an approximation. The value for C is given as 20 μF. Dynamic resistance is the same as dynamic impedance and for part 3, V/I must be solved. The problem is complex and requires a precise calculation for the resonant frequency.
agata78

Homework Statement

A coil of inductance 0.20 H, resistance 60 ohms is connected in parallel with a 20 μF capacitor across a 20 V, variable frequency supply.
Determine:
1. the resonant frequency
2. the dynamic resistance
3. current resonance
4. Q- factor at resonance

Is anyone there who could help me to go through with this question please?!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a schematic?

What do you understand by the resonant frequency?

Show some work! You can at least calculate the current for the parallel network.

I believe the resonant frequency equation is:

fr = 1 / 2∏√(LC)

However, I am struggling to work out the value for C (Capacitance). As in the question I have 20uF capacitor.

Is 20uF the value for C?

Agata 78 said:

fr = 1 / 2∏√(LC)

However, I am struggling to work out the value for C (Capacitance). As in the question I have 20uF capacitor.

Is 20uF the value for C?

Yes. fr is also correct.

For par 2 I don't know what is meant by 'dynamic resistance'. Is it the real component of impedance or is it ∂V/∂I without regard to phase?

For part 3 you must solve V/I. You will find that the 'current resonance" is not the resonance of part 1.

Part 4 is messy.

In fact, this is a very messy problem altogether except for part 1.

Last edited:
Can you please help me work out the value of C for Part 1?

For Part 2. Dynamic resiatance is the same as dynamic impedance.

Agata 78 said:
Can you please help me work out the value of C for Part 1?

For Part 2. Dynamic resiatance is the same as dynamic impedance.

You just suggested C = 20 uF and I said "Yes".

So the answer is dynamic resistance = dV/dI? At resonance or anywhere?

I have to warn you, this is a bear of a problem.

Last edited:
Agata 78 said:

fr = 1 / 2∏√(LC)
No, not precisely. That is true for an ideal resonant circuit where R=0. For any practical circuit, with non-zero R, that is only a handy approximation. This problem requires that you determine the precise resonant frequency.

Is 20uF the value for C?
Yes. The problem specs give you R, L and C. Draw that circuit and write an expression for the impedance of each element, in Ohms.

1. What is a series R-L-C circuit?

A series R-L-C circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in a series, or one after the other, along a single path for the flow of current.

2. How does a series R-L-C circuit behave?

A series R-L-C circuit behaves differently depending on the frequency of the applied voltage. At low frequencies, the inductive reactance (XL) is greater than the capacitive reactance (XC), so the circuit is dominated by the inductor and behaves like a low-pass filter. At high frequencies, the opposite is true and the circuit behaves like a high-pass filter. At the resonant frequency, the capacitive and inductive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit with maximum current.

3. What is a parallel R-L-C circuit?

A parallel R-L-C circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in parallel, or side by side, with each other. This means that the voltage is the same across each component, but the current is divided among them.

4. How does a parallel R-L-C circuit behave?

A parallel R-L-C circuit behaves differently depending on the frequency of the applied voltage. At low frequencies, the inductive reactance (XL) is greater than the capacitive reactance (XC), so the circuit is dominated by the inductor and behaves like a high-pass filter. At high frequencies, the opposite is true and the circuit behaves like a low-pass filter. At the resonant frequency, the capacitive and inductive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit with minimum impedance.

5. What are the applications of R-L-C circuits?

R-L-C circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics and engineering. They are commonly used in filters for signal processing and frequency selection, as well as in power supplies to regulate and smooth the output voltage. They are also used in oscillators and tuning circuits for radio and communication systems. In addition, R-L-C circuits are important components in electric motors, generators, and transformers.