1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series convergence / divergence

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the following series converge or diverge? If it converges, does it converge absolutely or conditionally?
    [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{1}(-1)^{n+1}*(1-n^{1/n})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Alternating series test

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started out by taking the limit of ##a_n: Lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(1-n^{1/n})##=1-1=0.
    So via the alternating series test, the original series converges.

Next, I have to figure out whether it converges absolutely or conditionally, and this is where I'm stuck. I suppose I have to first find out whether the term ##a_n##, which is ##(1-n^{1/n})##, diverges or converges. But what test do I use for this? The limit test is silent because as I found above, the limit is zero. I've tried ratio test and limit comparison test to no avail. Root test doesn't seem to lead anywhere. It's not a geometric or telescoping series so those options are out. Maybe I could use comparison test, but I don't know what term I would use for comparison. Integral test seems really difficult. So I'm stuck and would appreciate any helpful pointers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

think about [(n^(1/n)-1)/(1/n)]/n
    compare to log(n)/n

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    Wait, so...I gather you're saying that ##\sum(-1)^{n+1}*(1-n^{1/n})=\sum(-1)^n*(n^{1/n}-1)##, so when we consider the positive term ##(n^{1/n}-1)##, it can be re-written as:

##\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)*n}{n}##, aka:

##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}##?

And from here we do a comparison test with ##\frac{\ln n}{n}##? OK, From punching some numbers into the calculator, I can see that ##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} > \frac{\ln n}{n}##, so via the comparison test the positive term diverges, meaning the original alternating series converges conditionally?

But if so, then I'm not sure how to show rigorously that ##\frac{\frac{(n^{1/n}-1)}{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} > \frac{\ln n}{n}##, other than to say it seems to be true for some arbitrarily large n...am I on the right track here?

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^Exactly
    n^(1/n)-1>=0 for all n (n=1,2,3,4,...)
    x>=log(1+x) for all x (x>=0)
    thus
    n^(1/n)-1>log{1+[n^(1/n)-1]}=log(n)/n
    ∑log(n)/n diverges so too does ∑[n^(1/n)-1]

6. Jun 7, 2014 #5
    You can use derivatives to show this (increasing/decreasing functions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted