Series Convergence with Comparison Test

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a problem in Calculus III and Analysis. The problem involves a series and the student is unsure of how to approach it. Two hints are provided, suggesting that the first few terms can be neglected and that the series can be compared to a geometric series.
Zoey93
Hey,

I am working on Calculus III and Analysis, I really need help with this one problem. I am not even sure where to begin with this problem. I have attached my assignment to this thread and the problem I need help with is A. Thank you!

Attachments

• Task 1.pdf
    198.9 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Zoey93 said:
Hey,

I am working on Calculus III and Analysis, I really need help with this one problem. I am not even sure where to begin with this problem. I have attached my assignment to this thread and the problem I need help with is A. Thank you!
Here are a couple of hints to get you started.

1. The convergence or divergence of a series is not affected by the first few terms. So you can neglect the first three terms of the series, and concentrate on those starting with the term $\frac1{3+\sqrt2}.$

2. From that point onwards, the denominator of each term consists of two elements: a power of 3 and a square root. One of those elements is going to be much larger than the other. So think about what the series would look like if you neglected the smaller element.

Each of the important terms are of the form $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{ 3^n + \sqrt{n+1}} \end{align*}$, and since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 3^n + \sqrt{n + 1} > 3^n \end{align*}$ for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} n \geq 0 \end{align*}$, that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{3^n + \sqrt{n + 1}} < \frac{1}{3^n} = \left( \frac{1}{3} \right) ^n \end{align*}$. So you can make a comparison to a simple geometric series :)

Related to Series Convergence with Comparison Test

What is the Comparison Test for series convergence?

The Comparison Test is a method used to determine if a given series converges or diverges by comparing it to a known series with known convergence properties. It states that if a series an is greater than or equal to a series bn, and bn converges, then an must also converge.

When should the Comparison Test be used?

The Comparison Test should be used when the series being tested is positive and has terms that are easily compared to a known series. It is also useful when the Limit Comparison Test fails to give a conclusive result.

What is the difference between the Comparison Test and the Limit Comparison Test?

The Comparison Test compares a given series to a known series with known convergence properties, while the Limit Comparison Test compares a given series to a limit of a known series. The Comparison Test is more widely applicable, while the Limit Comparison Test is useful for series with terms that are difficult to directly compare.

Can the Comparison Test be used to prove absolute convergence?

Yes, the Comparison Test can be used to prove absolute convergence. If the known series used in the comparison is absolutely convergent, then the given series must also be absolutely convergent.

Can the Comparison Test be used to prove conditional convergence?

No, the Comparison Test cannot be used to prove conditional convergence. It can only be used to prove absolute convergence or divergence.