1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Converges to?

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the series [tex]\sum\frac{b^{(2n+2)}(-1)^{n}}{(2n+2)!}[/tex] from n=0 to infinity. I am trying to find what it converges to in terms of b.

2. Relevant equations
    Using the Ratio Test I have established that it does converge.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have scoured the internet, my notes, and all my books, but I can't seem to find a way to find what these kinds of series (power I believe) converge to, only ways to see if they converge or not. I just need to find out the method to calculate what it converges to in terms of b. Thank you for any assistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

zcd

[tex]\sum\frac{b^{(2n+2)}(-1)^{n}}{(2n+2)!}=\sum\frac{b^{(2n+2)}(-1)^{n}}{(2n+2)(2n+1)!}[/tex], from which you can differentiate term by term

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Why would I differentiate it? How does that help find what it converges to?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

zcd

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sum\frac{b^{(2n+2)}(-1)^{n}}{(2n+2)(2n+1)!}=\sum\frac{b^{(2n+1)}(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex] which looks a bit like which function?

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    It looks like the general term of the Taylor Polynomail for sin(x)...so it is sin(b)?

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6

zcd

The derivative of the series converges to sin(b), not the original series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook