1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series converging

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show for what real numbers p and q ## \sum \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} ## diverges or converges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am kind of lost because it seems that with both subscripts p and q there are a bunch of cases you have to work through. My professor wasn't explicit in regards to what values p and q we had to consider.

My number 1 question would be: do you consider p and q covering the same set of numbers? Such as p>1 and q>1? Or do you have to also consider 0<p<1 while q>1 as well? It just seems this would take forever.

Anyways I think I have a solution for p,q > 1

## \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} ## ≤ ## \frac{1}{n^{p}} ## for all n ≥ 3

since ## \frac{1}{n^{p}} ## converges (p > 1) by comparison test ## \sum \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} ## converges for p,q > 1

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can extend your comparison test more, what if q=0 and p>1 for example?

In general you are going to have to consider p and q being any number - there aren't that many actual different cases though

4. Jun 8, 2013 #3
    ## \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} \geq \frac{1}{nln(n)} ## for 0 ≤ p,q ≤ 1.

and ## \frac{1}{nln(n)} ## is divergent by the integral test, thus ## \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} ## diverges by comparison.

Now if p,q < 0 then ## \sum \frac{1}{n^{p}ln^{q}(n)} ## becomes ## \sum n^{p}ln^{q}(n) ##

which clearly diverges.

Ok, so all of this together we have the series converging for p,q > 1 and diverging for p,q ≤ 1. So are the other cases I need to check are ones with p and q being in these two different ranges respectively? ie p ≤ 1 and q > 1 and vice versa?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. Jun 9, 2013 #4
    You saw that p,q=1 is a sort of boundary value. Then it's worthwhile to investigate it deeper.

You could check what happens if you hold still p=1 and change q, then q=1 and vary p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted