Series Soln to a Diff Eqn: can't understand one of the steps

In summary, the conversation discusses a worked example of solving the equation y" - 2xy' + y = 0. The book uses the following steps to get from one point to another in the solution: first, it takes the sum of (n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2}x^n, then subtracts the sum of 2nc_nx^n, and lastly adds back the sum of c_nx^n. One question raised is how the last step is justified, to which it is determined that the value of 2nc_nx^n is zero when n=0. This is irrelevant because the two sums differ only by the presence/absence of the n=0 term, which
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

solve y" - 2xy' + y = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in the worked example, the book gets from

here:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2}x^n - \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}2nc_nx^n + \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}c_nx^n = 0[/tex]

to here:

[tex] \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} [(n+1)(n+2)c_{n+2} - (2n-1)c_n]x^n = 0[/tex]

by way of:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}2nc_nx^n = \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}2nc_nx^n[/tex]

How is this last part justified?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of ##2nc_nx^n## when ##n=0##?

DEvens said:
What is the value of ##2nc_nx^n## when ##n=0##?

I considered that. It's zero. But assuming [itex]c_n[/itex] exists, won't [itex]2nc_nx^n \neq 0 \ for \ n=1[/itex]?

kostoglotov said:
I considered that. It's zero. But assuming [itex]c_n[/itex] exists, won't [itex]2nc_nx^n \neq 0 \ for \ n=1[/itex]?

Yes, but that is irrelevant. The two sums differ by the presence/absence of the ##n = 0## term, which is zero!

Likes kostoglotov

1. How do I solve a differential equation using a series solution?

To solve a differential equation using a series solution, you first need to convert the equation into a power series. This involves replacing all derivatives with appropriate terms in the form of xn, where n is a non-negative integer. Then, substitute this series into the original equation and solve for the coefficients using algebraic manipulation.

2. What is the purpose of using a series solution to solve a differential equation?

A series solution allows for an approximate solution to a differential equation, which is often much easier to obtain than an exact solution. It also allows for the solution to be expanded to different orders, providing more accurate approximations.

3. What do I do if I don't understand one of the steps in a series solution to a differential equation?

If you are struggling to understand a particular step, try breaking it down into smaller parts and reviewing the concepts involved. You can also consult a textbook or ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can a series solution to a differential equation always be obtained?

No, a series solution may not always be possible for a given differential equation. This depends on the form of the equation and its coefficients. In some cases, a numerical or graphical approach may be necessary.

5. Is there a limit to the order of a series solution to a differential equation?

Yes, the order of a series solution is limited by the convergence of the power series. If the series does not converge, then the solution is not valid. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to solve the differential equation.