Series solution near an ordinary point

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with series solutions, specifically for finding derivatives at a given point and determining values for a problem involving those derivatives. The correct answers for the derivatives are -1, 0, and 3, but there may be an error in the given derivatives.
hbomb
some help with series solutions

I'm needing help on series solutions. It's been a while since I worked on them.

Find
[tex]\phi''(x_{0})[/tex]
[tex]\phi'''(x_{0})[/tex]
[tex]\phi''''(x_{0})[/tex]

y"+xy'+y=0; y(0)=1. y'(0)=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is [itex] \phi (x) [/itex] a solution of the initial value problem?

if it its then start with

[tex] \phi '' (x) + x \phi ' (x) +\phi (x) = 0 [/tex]

and
[tex]\phi'''(x)+ x\phi''(x)+ \phi'(x)= 0[/tex]
[tex]\phi''''(x)+ x\phi'''(x)+ \phi''(x)= 0[/tex]

I have a question that involves using those derivatives. It's asks to determine the values at those derivatives with y(0)=1, y'(0)=1

When I used those numbers I didn't get the correct answer, which is -1, 0, 3. I think the derivatives are wrong.

What is a series solution near an ordinary point?

A series solution near an ordinary point is a mathematical technique used to find an approximate solution to a differential equation near a point where the solution is well-behaved. It involves expressing the solution as a series of terms and then finding the coefficients of the series using the properties of the differential equation.

When is a series solution near an ordinary point useful?

A series solution near an ordinary point is useful when the differential equation is difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It is also useful when the solution needs to be found at specific points, as the series can be truncated to a desired degree of accuracy.

What is the process for finding a series solution near an ordinary point?

The process for finding a series solution near an ordinary point involves the following steps:

1. Identifying the ordinary point, which is a point where the differential equation is well-behaved.
  2. Expressing the solution as a series of terms using the power series method.
  3. Substituting the series into the differential equation and equating coefficients of like powers of the independent variable.
  4. Solving for the coefficients using the recurrence relation obtained in the previous step.
  5. Combining the terms to obtain the series solution.

What are the limitations of a series solution near an ordinary point?

A series solution near an ordinary point is only valid near the point of expansion, as the series may diverge or converge to a different solution outside of this region. It is also limited to finding an approximate solution, as the series may not converge exactly to the true solution.

How can the accuracy of a series solution near an ordinary point be improved?

The accuracy of a series solution near an ordinary point can be improved by using more terms in the series expansion. This can be achieved by either increasing the number of terms in the original series or by using a more sophisticated method such as the Frobenius method. Additionally, the accuracy can be improved by choosing a point of expansion closer to the desired solution.