Solving Equation: y''(x) + \frac{y'(x)}{x} + \frac{y(x)}{x^2} = 0

• Thread starter JohanL
  • Start date
In summary, the equation has constant coefficients and can be solved for y as a function of t by replacing t by ln x.
JohanL
Im trying to solve the following equation
[tex]
y''(x) + \frac{y'(x)}{x} + \frac{y(x)}{x^2} = 0
[/tex]

Then with

[tex]y(x) = \sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*x^{i+k}[/tex]

[tex]y'(x) = \sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*(i+k)*x^{i+k-1}[/tex]

[tex]y''(x) = \sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*(i+k)(i+k-1)*x^{i+k-2}[/tex]

I get

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*(i+k)(i+k-1)*x^{i+k-2} + \sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*(i+k)*x^{i+k-2} + \sum_{i=0}^\infty a_i*x^{i+k-2} = 0[/tex]

but how can i get a recurrence relation from this.
I need something like
[tex]a_{i+2} = f(i)*a_i[/tex]
But with only the same i+k-2 in all terms i don't know how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, go ahead and write out the formula you get:
[tex]a_i(i+k)(i+k-1)+ a_i(i+k)+ a_i= a_i((i+k)^2+ 1)= 0[/tex]
Either i+k= 0 or ai= 0 for all i.
The difficulty is that x= 0 is not a "regular" singular point for this equation. That's an "equipotential" (also called "Euler type") equation for which 0 is pretty much the "boundary" between regular singular point and irregular singular point. Multiplying on both sides of the equation by x2 you get x2y"+ xy'+ y= 0. Making the change of variable t= ln x or x= et reduces it to an equation with constant coefficients:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dy}{dt}= e^t\frac{dy}{dt}= x\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{d }{dx}(x\frac{dy}{dt})= x^2\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ x\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
so [tex]x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ x\frac{dy}{dx}+ y= \left(\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ \frac{dy}{dt}\right)- \frac{dy}{dt}+ y= \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ y= 0[/tex]
Solve that equation for y as a function of t and then replace t by ln x.

Thx, I solved it!

1. What is the meaning of the equation y''(x) + \frac{y'(x)}{x} + \frac{y(x)}{x^2} = 0?

The equation represents a second-order linear ordinary differential equation, where y(x) is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and the derivatives of y with respect to x are represented by y'(x) and y''(x).

2. How can this equation be solved?

This equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

3. What is the significance of the constants and variables in this equation?

The constants in this equation represent the initial conditions of the system, while the variables represent the changing quantities.

4. Can this equation be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, this equation can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Yes, this equation is limited to linear systems and may not accurately model more complex situations with non-linear relationships between the variables.