Server Software Update 12/05/07

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the standard server software will be upgraded around midnight central time, there will be some reboot downtimes of 5-10min, and the number one thing to do when the PF server is down is to Refresh, Refresh, Refresh, Refresh.
We're upgrading some standard server software tonight around midnight central time. There is always risk of problems occurring, but I don't expect any. There will be some reboot downtimes of 5-10min. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fingers crossed
(hoping [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] doesn't get broken)

Top 10 things to do during reboot downtimes:

10) Start studying for finals

9) Finish your physics homework

8) Watch re-runs of late night TV because the writers are still on strike

7) Annoy your cat

6) Read a book

5) Do sudoku puzzles

4) Go to sleep early for a change

3) Surf other websites

2) Think about all the things you'll post when the server comes back online

And the number one thing to do when the PF server is down...

1) Click Refresh, Refresh, Refresh, Refresh...

:biggrin:

When? Is this happening tonight or a year from now? Have I hibernated a year or something? :uhh:

I must admit that I always do #1 on Moonbear's list and nothing else. I might try annoying the cat this time though.

Last edited:
I'm going to sleep early.

Fixed the thread title. :rofl: And, yeah, the rest of the list was just filler to get to #1...I know that's all anyone around here does. :uhh:

I've decided to do the upgrades in two parts. Second part will be done tonight, same time. Let me know if you get any errors, I've already run into a couple.

Last edited:
I've got no errors. LaTeX and previews still work.

No errors so far. System seems to be more responsive.

Ironically, when I posted the above post, I first got the message (approx): "You are only allowed to post once every 30 seconds. Please try again in 30 seconds."

What? I posted twice within the same second?

So, I waited 30 seconds and hit submit. This time it told me that I was trying to post a duplicate post and redirected me back to the thread, where the post had in fact been accepted.

Ironically, when I posted the above post, I first got the message (approx): "You are only allowed to post once every 30 seconds. Please try again in 30 seconds."

What? I posted twice within the same second?

So, I waited 30 seconds and hit submit. This time it told me that I was trying to post a duplicate post and redirected me back to the thread, where the post had in fact been accepted.

Edit: When posting this post, I got the error message: " 1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 29 seconds."

And this time, I tacked on the edit, while I was waiting out my 29 seconds. So when I hit submit after waiting, it accepted the new post (with the edit), but had also previously accepted the old post. Looks like each post submission is automatically resulting in a pair of duplicate posts, the second of which is rejected, due to the 30 second rule.

Last edited:
What's happening is that the screen doesn't show that your submission was accepted the first time, but it really was. If you hit submit and then refresh, the post comes up. If not and you try to resubmit, you get the error.

I most commonly get that screen when my finger stutters on the left mouse button -- causing me to click submit twice in rapid succession.

This feels like the famous time warp episode (Cause and Effect) of TNG. All hands abandon sh...

This feels like the famous time warp episode (Cause and Effect) of TNG. All hands abandon sh...

Edit: Resistance is futile!

Gokul43201 said:

I don't see how decompressing the PF shuttle bay in this situation would help however.

Hurkyl said:
I most commonly get that screen when my finger stutters on the left mouse button -- causing me to click submit twice in rapid succession.

I guess it's a good thing that you're not a surgeon. :biggrin:

It's the same error, but now I get it because the page doesn't show that the submission was submitted, when it was, and I try to submit again.

It only seems to happen with the quick reply

Ivan Seeking said:
I guess it's a good thing that you're not a surgeon. :biggrin:
...but doctor, we were only supposed to take out one of his kidneys!

upgrades are complete, let me know if there are any problems!

What is the purpose of the Server Software Update 12/05/07?

The Server Software Update 12/05/07 is intended to improve the performance, security, and functionality of the server software.

How often should I update my server software?

It is recommended to regularly check for and install updates for your server software to ensure it is functioning optimally and protected against potential security threats. The frequency of updates may vary depending on the specific software and any recent security breaches or bugs that have been identified.

Do I need to backup my server before installing the update?

It is always advised to backup your server before installing any updates, as a precautionary measure in case of any errors or issues that may arise during the update process. This will allow you to restore your server to its previous state if needed.

How long does it take to complete the Server Software Update 12/05/07?

The update process may vary in length depending on the size and complexity of the update, as well as the speed of your server. However, it is typically a quick process and should not take more than a few minutes to complete.

Is it necessary to restart my server after the update?

In most cases, yes, it is necessary to restart your server after installing the update. This allows the changes to take effect and ensures that the server is running on the latest version of the software. However, some updates may not require a restart, so it is always best to check the update instructions or release notes for specific information.