Understanding Notation G/H [SOLVED] set of cosets

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the notation G/H means the set of left cosets or the set of right cosets of H in G (where H is a subgroup of a group G).
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] set of cosets

Homework Statement

Does the notation G/H mean the set right cosets or the set of left cosets of H in G (where H is a subgroup of a group G)?

I've seen both definitions on the internet, but maybe I am just looking at bad sites.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back and read your textbook again. The only time the notation "G/H" makes sense (i.e. is a group itself) is when H is a normal subgroup of G. And that only happens when the left cosets and the right cosets are the same.

The internet says otherwise:
http://web.ew.usna.edu/~wdj/book/node181.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think then that it's just a notational difference. What the website show's though is quite confusing. From what I've seen, we traditionally denote the quotient group by G/H, and like HallsofIvy says, H has to be a normal subgroup of G, and in that case the left and right cosets are the same.

I suppose that this is perhaps a generalization of the notation used for a quotient group, since the quotient group seems to be a special case of the notation when H is normal to G. (as the author stipulates in the first "notation" segment.)

Okay. As soon as I wrote that, I knew I was being too vague. Given a group G and subgroup H, you really should say "the set (better "collection") of left cosets or right cosets". But just about the only reason for distinguishing between the two is when you are trying to determine if the two are the same.

HallsofIvy said:
Okay. As soon as I wrote that, I knew I was being too vague. Given a group G and subgroup H, you really should say "the set (better "collection") of left cosets or right cosets". But just about the only reason for distinguishing between the two is when you are trying to determine if the two are the same.

I am getting confused. It is true that the collection of left cosets and the collection of right cosets are NOT in general the same collection, agreed?

That means there might be theorems about the collection of left cosets that do not apply to the collection of right cosets, so there might be other reasons for distinguishing them, right?

ehrenfest said:
I am getting confused. It is true that the collection of left cosets and the collection of right cosets are NOT in general the same collection, agreed?

Yes, but the point to note is that if the subgroup H is normal in G then the two collections will be the same.

Then I do not understand why people are saying that there is no reason to distinguish left and right cosets.

I also do not see why people are saying that G/H only makes sense when H is normal.

ehrenfest said:
Then I do not understand why people are saying that there is no reason to distinguish left and right cosets.

I also do not see why people are saying that G/H only makes sense when H is normal.

HallsofIvy pointed out that usually the only reason to distinguish between the two is to determine if they are the same.

And G/H only makes sense if H is normal because it is a group only if H is normal in G.

ehrenfest said:

There are a perfectly good reasons to distinguish left and right cosets. There is just no terribly standard notation for them.

What is notation G/H?

Notation G/H refers to a mathematical notation that represents the quotient group of G modulo H. In simpler terms, it is a way of representing the elements of a group G that are related by an equivalence relation H.

How is notation G/H used in mathematics?

Notation G/H is commonly used in group theory and abstract algebra. It is used to study the relationships between different elements in a group and can help solve complex problems related to group structures.

What are some properties of notation G/H?

One important property of notation G/H is that it is associative, meaning that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result. It is also commutative, meaning that the order of the elements does not affect the outcome. Additionally, it has an identity element, which does not change the value of other elements when combined with them.

How do you perform operations with notation G/H?

To perform operations with notation G/H, you first need to identify the group G and the equivalence relation H. Then, you can use the properties of the group to simplify the notation and solve the problem. It is important to understand the rules and properties of the specific group in order to correctly perform operations with notation G/H.

What are some common mistakes when using notation G/H?

One common mistake when using notation G/H is confusing the group G with the equivalence relation H. It is important to remember that the group and the equivalence relation are two separate entities and should not be combined or mixed up. Another mistake is not understanding the properties and rules of the group, which can lead to incorrect solutions or confusion.