Help Me Find # of Onto Functions from B -> B

• Thread starter James889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, there are 55 functions from set B to itself and in order to be onto, a function must also be one-to-one. This means that each element in set B must map to a different element in set B. The process of choosing a number to map to each element in set B makes the problem simpler.
James889
Hi,

I have a simple question i'd like some help with

let [tex]B = \{1,2,3,4,5\}[/tex]

How many functions from B -> B are onto ?

A kick in the right direction would be nice

Physics news on Phys.org
say you have a function defined on
[tex] f : a \in A \rightarrow f(a) = b \in B [/tex]

A function is onto if for every b in B, there exists an a, such that f(a) = b

in this case A = B
[tex] f : b \in B \rightarrow f(b) = b' \in B [/tex]
and there must be a b for every b'

so what else can you say about f?

There are, of course, 55 functions from B to B.

In order to be onto, a function from two sets of the same size (which, of course, includes functions from one set to itself) must also be one-to-one. I think that makes the problem simpler.

Choose a number to map "1" to - you have 5 choices. Once that is done, you cannot map anything else to that so you now have 4 choices to map "2" to, 3 to map "3" to, etc. See the point?

HallsofIvy said:
There are, of course, 55 functions from B to B.

In order to be onto, a function from two sets of the same size (which, of course, includes functions from one set to itself) must also be one-to-one. I think that makes the problem simpler.

Choose a number to map "1" to - you have 5 choices. Once that is done, you cannot map anything else to that so you now have 4 choices to map "2" to, 3 to map "3" to, etc. See the point?

I see the point, so an element can map to itself?
So is the function also one-to-one ?

1. What is an onto function?

An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a type of mathematical function that maps all elements in the domain to at least one element in the range. This means that every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

2. How many onto functions are there from set B to set B?

The number of onto functions from set B to set B, also known as the number of surjections, can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the number of elements in the sets and r is the number of distinct elements in the range. In this case, the formula becomes n!/(n-n)! = n!, which means that there are n! onto functions from set B to set B.

3. Can every function from set B to set B be an onto function?

No, not every function from set B to set B can be an onto function. For a function to be onto, every element in the range must have a corresponding element in the domain. If there are more elements in the range than in the domain, then the function cannot be onto.

4. What is the difference between an onto function and a one-to-one function?

An onto function maps all elements in the domain to at least one element in the range, while a one-to-one function maps each element in the domain to exactly one element in the range. In other words, an onto function may have multiple elements in the domain mapping to the same element in the range, while a one-to-one function does not.

5. How can I determine if a function from set B to set B is an onto function?

To determine if a function is onto, you can use the surjectivity test. This test involves checking if every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain. If this is true, then the function is onto. Another way to check is to use the formula n!/(n-r)!, as mentioned in question 2, and see if the result matches the number of elements in the range.