Set theoretic "Puzzle" I made up.

• MHB
  • Thread starter mvCristi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle Set
I'm just a junior researcher.In summary, the conversation revolves around a set theory definition and its implications, particularly in relation to the empty set. The speaker is researching in the field of foundations of mathematics and has a different perspective on some well-known theorems. They have come up with a "puzzle" to generate discussion and are interested in hearing others' opinions. There is also some discussion on the language and clarity of the conversation.
mvCristi
I made up it, I didn't find anything about it, so, maybe, I'm the inventor.

The question is: How do different set theories handle the following definition?

U := {x : (x belongs_to A) and ( Not(A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet)) )}

If possible in the set theory, require (A is_set). But it doesn't really matter.

The set U is interesting for some reasons.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing my PhD research in "Foundations of mathematics with the application in automated theorem proving". I denied the motif that Russel's Paradox is an obstacle. This is the reason why I consider "Godel incompliteness theorems" and "Tarski's undefinability of truth resoult" particular cases of a Math that is done wrong. I think Math is both complete and consistent, but done in the right way. I researched and I have my opinion. Yet, I'm not sure if it is decidable. Anyway...
I earned money from my PhD research, my everyday existence, but I have to pay them back if I do not succide. And everyone around me is skeptical I will succide. I came up with this "puzzle" just to attract attention. Second order logic + ZFC cannot handle it.

First, take a look at "Euler's identity": e^(i*pi)+1=0.
It contains only once important constants like e,i,pi,1,0; it contains only once addition (+), multiplication (*), exponantiation (^); it contains only once equality (=). Many mathematicians regard it as the most elegant and "beautiful" result of Mathematics.

Now, take a look at: (For_all(x) belongs_to A) and ( Not(A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet)) ).
It contains: belongs_to, is_included_in, Powerset, EmptySet: these are fundamental constants in set theory. They appear only once.
Quantifiers: For_all: the standard quantifier appears only once.
Logical connectives:
and: with arrity 2
not: with arrity 1.
Free variables:
A appears twice: as the arrity of "and"
x appears once: as the arrity of "not"

Now let me make a citation attributed to Stephan Banach: "Good mathematicians see analogies. Great mathematicians see analogies between analogies."

I would enjoy a disscution obout the set U.

Thank you!

P.S. I didn't want a solution to the "puzzle", just a disscution about it.
P.P.S. Sorry for bothering you with my everyday life frustrations.

mvCristi said:
I made up it, I didn't find anything about it, so, maybe, I'm the inventor.

The question is: How do different set theories handle the following definition?

U := {x : (x belongs_to A) and ( Not(A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet)) )}

If possible in the set theory, require (A is_set). But it doesn't really matter.

The set U is interesting for some reasons.

The power set of the empty set has one element the empty set itself. So Not(A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet)) (equivalently: \(\lnot (A \in \mathcal{P}(\emptyset))\) )is equivalent to A is not the empty set.

So your statement is U=A where A is a non-empty set.CB

Thank you for your reply. You broke the ice.

I said not: not(A belongs_to Powerset( EmptySet))
I said: not( A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet))

P.S. It's just a "puzzle". My real work begins with a much more simpler and Axiomatic Set Theory proposition.
P.P.S. Sorry that I do not know LateX. So, please, anybody, correctly edit the definition of "U" in my first post in LateX. My fault. :D

Later edit: I've just voted on this (my) poll with: No, your just idiot. Just to counteract the discrepances. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
mvCristi said:
Thank you for your reply. You broke the ice.

I said not: not(A belongs_to Powerset( EmptySet))
I said: not( A is_included_in Powerset( EmptySet))

P.S. It's just a "puzzle". My real work begins with a much more simpler and Axiomatic Set Theory proposition.
P.P.S. Sorry that I do not know LateX. So, please, anybody, correctly edit the definition of "U" in my first post in LateX. My fault. :D

Later edit: I've just voted on this (my) poll with: No, your just idiot. Just to counteract the discrepances. :D

Ambiguous language, by included you mean is a subset? a proper subset? ...

Since the Power set of the empty set contains one element The Empty Set, it has two subsets: The Empty Set and the set whose only element is The Empty Set, so \( A\) is \(\emptyset\) or \( \{ \emptyset \} \)

CB

I just meant that (A is_set). But it doesn't really matters.
Not this is the main "issue" with U (EmptySet is_included in U: is very easily handled in ZFC, and others; can you tell me how?)
In fact the relation with {EmptySet} is important. The other, with EmptySet, was just part of the "puzzle" to make it more weird.
Can you ellaborate on this?

mvCristi said:
I just meant that (A is_set). But it doesn't really matters.
Not this is the main "issue" with U (EmptySet is_included in U: is very easily handled in ZFC; can you tell me how?)

I would suggest that you do some more work on the clarity of your writing, I'm afrain that makes no sense to me.

CB

I feel asheamed to state, but: I would suggest that you do some more work on the clarity of your understanding of the Foundations of Maths. Please, forgive me, but I'm not a native English speaker. Maybe, this is the source of the discrepancy.

However, I respect you, I appreciate you engaged in this disscution and I have to state that for me, there are other fields of math I have to understand better, fields in which you seem expert.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Set theoretic "Puzzle" I made up.

1. What is set theory and how does it relate to this puzzle?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. This puzzle involves using set theory principles to solve it in a logical manner.

2. Can you give an example of a set theoretic puzzle?

Yes, an example of a set theoretic puzzle would be a puzzle where you have a set of objects and need to rearrange them in a specific order to form a new set.

3. How do you approach solving a set theoretic puzzle?

To solve a set theoretic puzzle, you need to carefully analyze the given information and use logical reasoning to determine the relationships between the sets. It may be helpful to draw Venn diagrams or use other visual aids to organize the information.

4. Is there a specific strategy to use when solving this type of puzzle?

While there is no one specific strategy for solving set theoretic puzzles, it is important to pay attention to the given information and use deductive reasoning to narrow down the possibilities. It may also be helpful to use the process of elimination to eliminate options that do not fit the given criteria.

5. Are there any real-life applications of set theory puzzles?

Yes, set theory puzzles have many real-life applications, especially in fields such as computer science, statistics, and game theory. They are also commonly used in problem-solving and critical thinking exercises to develop logical reasoning skills.