Set theory and analysis: Cardinality of continuous functions from R to R

In summary, the homework statement is that there is a continuous function from R to R with the same cardinality as R. However, the homework does not provide a solution to identifying that function.
Mosis

Homework Statement

Prove the set of continuous functions from R to R has the same cardinality as R

Homework Equations

We haven't done anything with cardinal numbers (and we won't), so my only tools are the definition of cardinality and the Schroeder-Bernstein theorem and its consequences.

I also don't know any "high brow" mathematical facts about continuous functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much. By Schroeder-Bernstein, we need an injection [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow C^0[/tex] and vice versa. We have the usual embedding map from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]C^0[/tex], but I've no idea how to construct an injection going the other way. Given any continuous function, how do I uniquely identify it with a real number?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to know at least a few things about cardinality. The main trick is that every continuous function is determined by its values on the rationals, which is a countable set. Does that help?

ah yes, then I should be able to associate any continuous function with a real number in [0,1) whose digits correspond to the value of the function evaluated at every q in Q. doing that shouldn't be too hard.

thanks!

as an aside: how do I know that every real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers? I mean, I "know" that this is pretty much what R is (as the completion of Q), but I'm not sure how to rigorously back that up.

Mosis said:
as an aside: how do I know that every real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers? I mean, I "know" that this is pretty much what R is (as the completion of Q), but I'm not sure how to rigorously back that up.
Isn't "every real number is a limit of rational numbers" pretty much (among other things) literally what "R is the completion of Q" means?

1. What is set theory and analysis?

Set theory and analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. This field involves the use of logical and mathematical tools to analyze and understand the properties of sets and their elements.

2. What is cardinality?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size or "countability" of a set, and it can be finite, infinite, or even uncountable for certain sets.

3. What are continuous functions?

Continuous functions are mathematical functions that have no sudden jumps or breaks in their graph. In other words, they are smooth and have a continuous output for every input value. In set theory, continuous functions are often studied in the context of mappings between sets.

4. What is the cardinality of continuous functions from R to R?

The cardinality of continuous functions from R to R is the same as the cardinality of the real numbers, which is known as "continuum" or "c". This means that there are uncountably infinite continuous functions from R to R.

5. How is the cardinality of continuous functions from R to R related to the cardinality of R?

The cardinality of continuous functions from R to R is greater than the cardinality of R. This can be seen intuitively, as there are only countably infinite real numbers, but uncountably infinite continuous functions between them. In set theory, this relationship is expressed as "c^c", where c represents the cardinality of the real numbers.