1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory and analysis: Cardinality of continuous functions from R to R

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the set of continuous functions from R to R has the same cardinality as R

2. Relevant equations
    We haven't done anything with cardinal numbers (and we won't), so my only tools are the definition of cardinality and the Schroeder-Bernstein theorem and its consequences.

I also don't know any "high brow" mathematical facts about continuous functions.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Not much. By Schroeder-Bernstein, we need an injection [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow C^0[/tex] and vice versa. We have the usual embedding map from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]C^0[/tex], but I've no idea how to construct an injection going the other way. Given any continuous function, how do I uniquely identify it with a real number?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to know at least a few things about cardinality. The main trick is that every continuous function is determined by its values on the rationals, which is a countable set. Does that help?

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    ah yes, then I should be able to associate any continuous function with a real number in [0,1) whose digits correspond to the value of the function evaluated at every q in Q. doing that shouldn't be too hard.

thanks!

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    as an aside: how do I know that every real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers? I mean, I "know" that this is pretty much what R is (as the completion of Q), but I'm not sure how to rigorously back that up.

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't "every real number is a limit of rational numbers" pretty much (among other things) literally what "R is the completion of Q" means?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook