Set theory and analysis: Cardinality of continuous functions from R to R

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Mosis
Messages
53
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove the set of continuous functions from R to R has the same cardinality as R

Homework Equations


We haven't done anything with cardinal numbers (and we won't), so my only tools are the definition of cardinality and the Schroeder-Bernstein theorem and its consequences.

I also don't know any "high brow" mathematical facts about continuous functions.

The Attempt at a Solution


Not much. By Schroeder-Bernstein, we need an injection [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow C^0[/tex] and vice versa. We have the usual embedding map from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]C^0[/tex], but I've no idea how to construct an injection going the other way. Given any continuous function, how do I uniquely identify it with a real number?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to know at least a few things about cardinality. The main trick is that every continuous function is determined by its values on the rationals, which is a countable set. Does that help?
 
ah yes, then I should be able to associate any continuous function with a real number in [0,1) whose digits correspond to the value of the function evaluated at every q in Q. doing that shouldn't be too hard.

thanks!
 
as an aside: how do I know that every real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers? I mean, I "know" that this is pretty much what R is (as the completion of Q), but I'm not sure how to rigorously back that up.
 
Mosis said:
as an aside: how do I know that every real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers? I mean, I "know" that this is pretty much what R is (as the completion of Q), but I'm not sure how to rigorously back that up.
Isn't "every real number is a limit of rational numbers" pretty much (among other things) literally what "R is the completion of Q" means?