1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting Derivative = 0 and solving

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently working on a problem that requires me to set the derivative = 0 and solve for a variable (call it x). The derivative comes out to be a fraction, with x terms in both the numerator and denominator. Is it legal to just multiply 0 by the denominator (thereby canceling it) even if it has the term of interest as part of it?

Simple Ex: say the derivative came out to be x-3 / 2x. And I want to solve for x.
    When I set that derivative equal to zero, can i just multiply 0 by 2x, leaving x-3=0? So x=3

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

That should be ok. You could also divide the left side by x / x, assuming that x is not equal to zero, resulting in:

( 1 - (3/x) ) / 2 = 0

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    thank you

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4
    i thought they're supposed to show the work?

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    It is a requirement for HW problems, but my question was geared towards a concept. The equation I'm deriving for the HW would probably take up an entire line on here. The example I put on was just that, an example, it wasn't even close to my actual problem (although I wish it was haha)

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Multiplying both sides by 2x is just as valid as dividing the left side by x/x. I only showed that as an alternative in case there's a situation where that would be a better option for a different equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted