Setting Derivative = 0 and solving

• Thread starter deedsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of multiplying a fraction by zero when setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for a variable. It is determined that this is acceptable, and an alternative method of dividing the left side by x/x is also mentioned.
deedsy

Homework Statement

I'm currently working on a problem that requires me to set the derivative = 0 and solve for a variable (call it x). The derivative comes out to be a fraction, with x terms in both the numerator and denominator. Is it legal to just multiply 0 by the denominator (thereby canceling it) even if it has the term of interest as part of it?

Simple Ex: say the derivative came out to be x-3 / 2x. And I want to solve for x.
When I set that derivative equal to zero, can i just multiply 0 by 2x, leaving x-3=0? So x=3

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be ok. You could also divide the left side by x / x, assuming that x is not equal to zero, resulting in:

( 1 - (3/x) ) / 2 = 0

Likes 1 person
thank you

rcgldr said:
That should be ok. You could also divide the left side by x / x, assuming that x is not equal to zero, resulting in:

( 1 - (3/x) ) / 2 = 0

i thought they're supposed to show the work?

MGCLO said:

It is a requirement for HW problems, but my question was geared towards a concept. The equation I'm deriving for the HW would probably take up an entire line on here. The example I put on was just that, an example, it wasn't even close to my actual problem (although I wish it was haha)

MGCLO said:
Multiplying both sides by 2x is just as valid as dividing the left side by x/x. I only showed that as an alternative in case there's a situation where that would be a better option for a different equation.

1. What is the purpose of setting a derivative equal to zero and solving?

The process of setting a derivative equal to zero and solving is used to find critical points or points of inflection on a graph. These points can help determine the maximum or minimum value of a function.

2. How do you set a derivative equal to zero?

To set a derivative equal to zero, you can use the derivative rules to rewrite the function and then set it equal to zero. Alternatively, you can use the power rule to find the derivative and then set it equal to zero.

3. Why is it important to solve for the derivative equaling zero?

Solving for the derivative equaling zero allows us to find important points on a graph such as maximum or minimum values, as well as points of inflection. This information can help us better understand the behavior of a function.

4. Can setting a derivative equal to zero be used for any function?

Yes, setting a derivative equal to zero can be used for any differentiable function. However, it may not always result in a meaningful solution. It is important to check the second derivative and use other methods to confirm the critical points found.

5. Are there any other ways to find critical points besides setting a derivative equal to zero?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the first and second derivative tests, graphing the function, and using calculus software or calculators. These methods can also help us find critical points and determine the behavior of a function.