Several Differential Equation problems

In summary, the solution to the first problem is y= -1/(t^2-1/y_0) and the interval is all real numbers excluding t=1/y_0. In the second problem, the amount of salt in the tank at any given time can be found using the equation Q = \frac{e^{-t/50}cos(t)+1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)+C}{-1/2500-1}. And in the third problem, the solution to the IVP is y=e^{(-t/2)}cos(\sqrt{3/2}t)+ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}e^{(-t/2)}
Nok1

1. Homework Statement

Solve the IVP and find the interval in which the solution exists
    y'=2ty2, y(0)=y0>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y'=2ty2
    y'/y2=2t
    [tex]\int[/tex]y-2y'=[tex]\int[/tex]2t
    -1/y=t2+c[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] c = -1/y0
    and therefore [tex]y= -1/(t^2-1/y_0)[/tex]

So it appears that the interval is all real excluding when t2=1/y0. Is this correct?

2. Homework Statement

A tank contains 100 gallons of water and 50 oz of salt. Water containing a salt concentration of .25(1+.5sint) oz/gal flows into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, and the mixture in the tank flows out at the same rate. Find the amount of salt in the tank at any given time.

Homework Equations

I set up the eq. like so:
    [tex]dQ/dt=r_1a+Qr_2/100[/tex] where r1 is rate in, r2 is rate out, and a is the concentration of salt coming in.

Q'-2/100Q = .5(1+.5sin(t)) ; u = e-t/50
    (uQ)' = u(.5+.25sin(t))
    [tex]uQ=\int.5+.25sin(t)[/tex]
    uQ = .5t+1/8sin(t2)+c
    Q = et/50(.5t+1/8sin(t2)+c) ; c = 50 (from IC)
    and therefore
    Q = et/50(.5t+1/8sin(t2)+50)

3. Sorry guys, one more if you will.

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the IVP:
    y''+y'+y=0, y(o)=1, y'(0)=-1

Homework Equations

[tex]-1/2 \pm (\sqrt{1^2-4(1)(1)})/2[/tex]
    [tex]-.5 \pm \sqrt{3/2}i[/tex] ; let [tex]\mu = \sqrt{3/2}[/tex]
    [tex]y=c_1 e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2 e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex]
    [tex]y(0)=1=c_1cos(0)+c_2sin(0)=1\Rightarrow c_1=1[/tex]
    [tex]y'=-\mu sin(\mu t)e^{(-t/2)}-.5e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2 \mu cos(\mut)e^{(-t/2)}-.4e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex]
    [tex]y'(0)=-1=-1/2+\mu c_2 \Rightarrow c_2=-.5/\mu[/tex]
    [tex]y=e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex] where c2 is defined above

Thanks a lot for your time. I would really appreciate any replies as to the correctness of the solution, or of I made some mistakes where they might be and how I might go about fixing them. Hopefully I didn't butcher the formatting :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Nok1 said:

1. Homework Statement

Solve the IVP and find the interval in which the solution exists
    y'=2ty2, y(0)=y0>0

Homework Equations

y'=2ty2
    y'/y2=2t
    [tex]\int[/tex]y-2y'=[tex]\int[/tex]2t
    -1/y=t2+c[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] c = -1/y0
    and therefore [tex]y= -1/(t^2-1/y_0)[/tex]

So it appears that the interval is all real excluding when t2=1/y0. Is this correct?

1. Looks good!

[*]

Homework Statement

A tank contains 100 gallons of water and 50 oz of salt. Water containing a salt concentration of .25(1+.5sint) oz/gal flows into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, and the mixture in the tank flows out at the same rate. Find the amount of salt in the tank at any given time.

Homework Equations

I set up the eq. like so:
    [tex]dQ/dt=r_1a+Qr_2/100[/tex] where r1 is rate in, r2 is rate out, and a is the concentration of salt coming in.

Q'-2/100Q = .5(1+.5sin(t)) ; u = e-t/50
    (uQ)' = u(.5+.25sin(t))
    [tex]uQ=\int.5+.25sin(t)[/tex]
    What happened to the "u" on the right hand side? Shouldn't this be
    [tex]uQ= \int e^{-t/50}(.5+ .25 sin(t))dt[/tex]

uQ = .5t+1/8sin(t2)+c
    Q = et/50(.5t+1/8sin(t2)+c) ; c = 50 (from IC)
    and therefore
    Q = et/50(.5t+1/8sin(t2)+50)
    [*]

Sorry guys, one more if you will.

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the IVP:
    y''+y'+y=0, y(o)=1, y'(0)=-1

Homework Equations

[tex]-1/2 \pm (\sqrt{1^2-4(1)(1)})/2[/tex]
    [tex]-.5 \pm \sqrt{3/2}i[/tex] ; let [tex]\mu = \sqrt{3/2}[/tex]
    [tex]y=c_1 e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2 e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex]
    [tex]y(0)=1=c_1cos(0)+c_2sin(0)=1\Rightarrow c_1=1[/tex]
    [tex]y'=-\mu sin(\mu t)e^{(-t/2)}-.5e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2 \mu cos(\mut)e^{(-t/2)}-.4e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex]
    [tex]y'(0)=-1=-1/2+\mu c_2 \Rightarrow c_2=-.5/\mu[/tex]
    [tex]y=e^{(-t/2)}cos(\mu t)+c_2e^{(-t/2)}sin(\mu t)[/tex] where c2 is defined above
    Yes but I don't see anything good accomplished by using [itex]\mu[/itex] rather than [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. In particular, using [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] makes it clearer that [itex]C_2= 1/\sqrt{3}= \sqrt{3}/3[/itex].

Thanks a lot for your time. I would really appreciate any replies as to the correctness of the solution, or of I made some mistakes where they might be and how I might go about fixing them. Hopefully I didn't butcher the formatting :).

Thanks for the fast reply.

In question 2 though.. I have no idea how to integrate that though :(. It's been a long while since I've taken my calc classes. Any ideas?

In question 3, I just used mu because it was easier to write. Quick question though.. [tex]c_2=-1/ \sqrt{3}[/tex] should be [tex]c_2=- \sqrt { 3 } /3[/tex] right?

Last edited:
Nok1 said:
Thanks for the fast reply.

In question 2 though.. I have no idea how to integrate that though :(. It's been a long while since I've taken my calc classes. Any ideas?
Do you mean
[tex]uQ= \int e^{-t/50}(.5+ .25 sin(t))dt[/tex]?

separate it into
[tex].5\int e^(t/50)dt[tex]
which is easy and
[tex].25\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt[/tex]
Use integration by parts for that- you will have use integration by parts twice.

In question 3, I just used mu because it was easier to write. Quick question though.. [tex]c_2=-1/ \sqrt{3}[/tex] should be [tex]c_2=- \sqrt { 3 } /3[/tex] right?
Yes, I accidently dropped the "-".

Alright, so doing the integration here's what I get:
  1. [tex]1/2\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt[/tex]

2. [tex]u=e^{-t/50},du=-1/50e^{-t/50},dv=sin(t)dt,v=-cos(t)[/tex]
    [tex]1/2\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt=1/2(-e^{-t/50}cos(t)-\int 1/50e^{-t/50}cos(t)dt[/tex]

3. [tex]u=1/50e^{-t/50},du=-1/2500e^{-t/50}dt,dv=cos(t)dt, v=sin(t)[/tex]
    [tex]1/2e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt=1/2[-e^{-t/50}cos(t)-(1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)+ \int 1/2500e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt)][/tex]
  4. [tex]\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt=-e^{-t/50}cos(t)-1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)-1/2500\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt[/tex]
  5. [tex]0=-e^{-t/50}cos(t)-1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)-1/2500\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt-\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt[/tex]
  6. [tex]e^{-t/50}cos(t)+1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)=\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt [-1/2500-1][/tex]

7. [tex]\frac{e^{-t/50}cos(t)+1/50e^{-t/50}sin(t)+C}{-1/2500-1}=\int e^{-t/50}sin(t)dt[/tex]

Before I go back and plug this back in, hopefully someone can verify that I did this correctly. Thanks again for everyone's time.

Bump.

Still awaiting further guidance, thank you.

Related to Several Differential Equation problems

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It includes one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives, and is used to model various physical phenomena in the natural and social sciences.

What is the purpose of solving differential equations?

The main purpose of solving differential equations is to find a function that satisfies the equation, and thus provides a mathematical representation of a real-world phenomenon. This allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of complex systems.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary, partial, linear, and non-linear. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Linear equations have a linear relationship between the function and its derivatives, while non-linear equations have a non-linear relationship.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

The most common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series or Laplace transforms. Other techniques such as numerical methods and computer simulations are also used to solve more complex or non-analytical equations.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including population growth, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in the development of technologies such as robotics, control systems, and computer graphics.