SF-Mott insulator transition and Wigner-mermin theorem

In summary, the Wigner-Mermin theorem states that there is no continuous symmetry breaking in 1d and 2d systems with short-range interactions at finite temperature. This means that there will be no spontaneous positional order or magnetization in these systems. However, other types of transitions, such as Kosterlitz-Thouless transitions, can still occur. The theorem does not rule out the possibility of SF-Mott transitions in 1d and 2d lattices, but experimental realizations of these transitions do exist. There is also a lot of literature on the topic, with the most famous paper being by Fisher in the PRB journal.
wdlang
i do not really understand wigmer-mermin theorem

in my impression, it states that there is no continuous symmetry breaking in 1d and 2d

so does wigner-mermin theorem rules out SF-Mott insulator transtion in 1d and 2d lattices ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean Wagner-Mermin?

I do not know much about SF-Mott transitions, but as nobody answered yet, I will give it a try.

The theorem states in principle that two-dimensional systems with short-range interaction cannot break continuous symmetry spontaneously at finite temperature. This means there will be no spontaneous positional order of particles and no spontaneous magnetization in 2d.

However other kinds of transitions are not ruled out. For example Kosterlitz-Thouless transitions still work (vortices). Also 2d-systems, which are not in equilibrium can show phase transitions (polariton BECs, for example).

As I said before, I know next to nothing about Mott-transitions. However experimental realizations of the Mott transition in similar systems seem to exist:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PRLTAO000100000012120402000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

(Spielman et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 120402 (2008))

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot! Yes, there are a lot literatures on SF-Mott transition, the bose-hubbard model.

The most famous one being the PRB paper by Fisher.

What is the SF-Mott insulator transition?

The SF-Mott insulator transition is a phase transition that occurs in certain materials, such as solids or superfluids, when the density of particles is changed. This transition is characterized by a sudden change in the electrical conductivity or the ability to flow of the material.

What is the Wigner-mermin theorem?

The Wigner-mermin theorem states that a finite system of interacting particles cannot have both long-range order and quantum coherence at the same time. This means that in a finite system, quantum coherence can only exist if there is no long-range order, and vice versa.

What is the significance of the SF-Mott insulator transition?

The SF-Mott insulator transition is of great significance in the study of condensed matter physics and has practical applications in the development of new materials with specific properties. It also sheds light on the fundamental behavior of particles in condensed matter systems.

How is the SF-Mott insulator transition experimentally observed?

The SF-Mott insulator transition can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as measuring the electrical conductivity, optical properties, or quantum coherence of the material. These measurements can be done under different conditions, such as changing the temperature, pressure, or density of the material.

What factors influence the SF-Mott insulator transition?

The SF-Mott insulator transition is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the interactions between particles, the temperature, and the density of the material. In addition, external factors such as magnetic fields or pressure can also affect the transition. The exact nature of the transition also depends on the specific properties of the material being studied.