Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SF-Mott insulator transition and Wigner-mermin theorem

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    i do not really understand wigmer-mermin theorem

in my impression, it states that there is no continous symmetry breaking in 1d and 2d

so does wigner-mermin theorem rules out SF-Mott insulator transtion in 1d and 2d lattices ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Do you mean Wagner-Mermin?

I do not know much about SF-Mott transitions, but as nobody answered yet, I will give it a try.

The theorem states in principle that two-dimensional systems with short-range interaction cannot break continuous symmetry spontaneously at finite temperature. This means there will be no spontaneous positional order of particles and no spontaneous magnetization in 2d.

However other kinds of transitions are not ruled out. For example Kosterlitz-Thouless transitions still work (vortices). Also 2d-systems, which are not in equilibrium can show phase transitions (polariton BECs, for example).

As I said before, I know next to nothing about Mott-transitions. However experimental realizations of the Mott transition in similar systems seem to exist:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PRLTAO000100000012120402000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes [Broken]

(Spielman et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 120402 (2008))

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot! Yes, there are a lot literatures on SF-Mott transition, the bose-hubbard model.

The most famous one being the PRB paper by Fisher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook