Finding Min. Potential Energy: Variation Calculus Method

In summary, the conversation involved solving for a shape on Earth with minimum potential energy using the method of variation calculus. The shape was assumed to be a function rotated around the Y axis and gravity was discussed to point towards the center of mass rather than in the negative Y direction. The formula for potential energy was also mentioned and the possibility of material going into holes under the surface was brought up. The conversation also touched on finding the center of mass without knowledge of the mass distribution's geometry.
Gayle
I was solving for a shape on Earth which has minimum potential energy. i used method of variation calculus.
I assumed a function f(x) and rotated it around Y axis. sorry for uploading the problem in word.

Attachments

• πXy2 ρgy dy.docx
    23.7 KB · Views: 197
Physics news on Phys.org
What direction does gravity point in?

along negative y direction

Gayle said:
along negative y direction

I was hoping it would be enough of a hint for you.

Gravity points towards the centre of the mass, not in the y direction. So as you go along the surface the direction of gravity changes.

In other words, you have the wrong formula.

Also, check your formula for potential energy.

That shape will be a thin layer spread on the surface. Unless you consider some material going in holes under the surface.

Dear DEvens
i assumed a random curve so how to find the center of mass if i don't know in what geometry the mass is distributed

i am sorry i understood what u meant i will workout the problem and let u know the answer.
thanks for u help

1. What is the purpose of finding minimum potential energy using the variation calculus method?

The purpose of finding minimum potential energy is to determine the most stable configuration of a system. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, as it allows us to predict the behavior of a system under different conditions.

2. How does the variation calculus method work?

The variation calculus method involves finding the critical points of a function that represents the potential energy of a system. This is done by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variables that describe the system and setting them equal to zero. The resulting equations can then be solved to find the minimum potential energy.

3. What are the advantages of using the variation calculus method?

One advantage of using the variation calculus method is that it is a rigorous mathematical approach that can be applied to a wide range of systems. It also allows for the consideration of multiple variables and constraints, making it a powerful tool for optimizing complex systems.

4. Are there any limitations to the variation calculus method?

Yes, there are some limitations to the variation calculus method. It may not always be possible to find an analytical solution to the equations, and numerical methods may need to be used instead. Additionally, the method may not be applicable to systems with discontinuous or non-differentiable potential energy functions.

5. How is the variation calculus method used in practical applications?

The variation calculus method is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in structural engineering to determine the optimal design of a building or bridge. It is also commonly used in physics and chemistry to study the stability and behavior of molecules and other systems. Additionally, it is used in fields such as economics and finance to optimize investment strategies.